Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: bought a new toyota today

yeah the 36 average mpg beats the old 14
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the new car, 2015CorollaPlusLE!   

j/k - 2011Xterror is still Ok.  Smiley LOL

Just keep the new one for a few years and save that gas money on top of the lower monthly payments.  Maybe even lower insurance costs too.

Good rate on the new financing too.

Now you can get a parking spot in the front row for the Garden, no need to go to the back row where the Pickups and Suvs have to go.

Good to ask about things in the forum, but in the end, you're the only one writing that check for the payments.

GL

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah i have no need to app for anything else for a while. only HP i will do is lowering my NFCU LOC in a year or so. they gave me mid-tier APR.

this car should save me around $250 a month all around so i am happy with that but i can't take it off road and if i drive down the road wondering "could i make it through that" i know i can't now lol. only bummer.

my xterra was cool though. put about $2,500 into it for the off road front and rear bumpers, bigger off road tires and my CB stuff
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Man,... i hate to be a Debbie Downer, but i'm going to have to be real in this situation since this forum is about the betterment of your finances.

Cars and car loans should not be mixed with your short term financial goals.  This forum often confuses major purchases with something as elementary such as a credit card application.  I wish you consulted the forum before making a big decision like this.  I'm not a fan of piling negative equity upon more negative equity.  And on top of this, you're now facing depreciation from this new car too.  This is before reaching an equity situation and actually paying down the car.  

One thing i've learned throughout the years in my profession is: the borrowed amount is of supreme imporrtance in a loan, not the APR.  This is why the borrowed amount is called the "principle".  I'm always conservative with finances.  Make additional payment towards the principle, and do not trade in this car until the loan becomes of SIGNIFICANT EQUITY.

While I agree that negative equity is always a bad situation, you have to pay back the negative equity one way or another.  If you do not have the funds to pay down the principal balance to get into the black, it is better to repay the negative equity at 2% versus 9% or 18% or whatever.

Yes, there is dramatic first year depreciation on a new car, etc., but that occurs whether you are rolling old negative equity into the new car or not.

Just be sure that the car you are now buying you intend to keep for four or five years, and do make additional principal payments as you can, ideally sending in a double payment each month.

For some people, getting out of a high interest rate, high payment that involves rolling negative equity into a new loan is a much better option if you can drastically reduce the interest rate, reduce the loan payment by buying a cheaper car, and paying off the negative equity faster by doubling up on payments.

I don't think it makes sense for folks to repay negative equity at 18% when they could repay it at 2%.  

You're basing your example off an extreme variation on interest rates when in this situation it's not that significant.  We're talking 6.3% to 2.5%.  But now you're talking 72 months.  Factor in 40-45% depreciation based on general lease residuals on the new car.  Both points negates any savings and puts you heavy into triple negative equity.  And i feel i'm being generous about that residual because Toyota fleets cars to rental car companies which flood the used car market.

Like i said earlier, i don't mean to be a party pooper.  But congratulating everyone and everything on this forum is not in the best interest of making credit better.

Either way, "it's only money".  And the main thing is you enjoy in good health.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

this decision was the best for me at this time. paying $2k in interest overall vs the $6k i would hand with my xterra and the gas savings pays half my payment already.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

while i know i am not in a good position in this car i was in a bad position in the previous vehicle too. so it's a lose lose but this way i spend less money while i am losing
Message 16 of 19
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

It's a good deal. I got a 2015 Toyota Camry XLE with 5% financincing. My mother in law just got a 2016 Corolla Le with like 0% financing. But she has near 820 credit scores. Toyota are great cars! 

Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

they said i qualified for 0% for 60 months but i needed 72 to keep my payment where i needed it
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
while i know i am not in a good position in this car i was in a bad position in the previous vehicle too. so it's a lose lose but this way i spend less money while i am losing

The main thing is you're happy with your decision.  Cant go wrong if you're saving money on a monthly basis immediately.  I didn't mean to sound harsh, in actuality I truly want the best for everyone.  

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.