cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying private owner car with pre-approved loan... process?

tag
Scott90
Contributor

buying private owner car with pre-approved loan... process?

Hello everyone... this question isnt for me, but for my younger brother.

He wants to purchase a car, and I am thinking about getting him to become a member of NFCU (im active duty) so he can try to get one of their low interest auto loans.  This will be one of his first cars (thats not a total POS) so we were thinking about a 5k loan.  Anyways, ideally I would like for him to purchase from a private seller.  Is this possible to do with a pre-approval from a bank/credit union? What is the process for this, what would he have to do/the steps?

Thanks in advance for some guidance on this, I appreciate all the help that is given on this forum. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: buying private owner car with pre-approved loan... process?

HI there, it is fairly unlikely that they will approve it, unless they are approving it as a signature loan. If they consider it an "auto loan" they'd have the ability to put a lien on the vehicle to ensure payment, which you can't really do with a private sale.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 6
Remember0
Valued Contributor

I disagree with notfancy.

Plenty of CUs do loans on private party. Local CUs and banks definitely do. One of my non-local CUs also does (PSECU... https://www.psecu.com/vehicles/ see the second FAQ question)

Also if you have the cash upfront, most CUs will be willing to let you send in the title later and give you a loan (again, I KNOW for a fact PSECU does do that).

Call your CU and talk to them. That's the best way to address this question. If they say no, call a couple local ones/maybe DCU and see what they say.

PS: Unfortunately, no, you can't sign up for PSECU unless you live in PA or your family/someone you live with is already a PSECU member (the loophole closed years ago). On a side note, can I mention how glad I am that they accept under 18 members to sign up without anyone else cosigning for membership/checking (the loophole closed before I turned 18 lol).

Message 3 of 6
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

CU's offer Auto Loans for private sales.  They hold the title until it is paid off. 

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 4 of 6
Scott90
Contributor

Thank you... does NFCU offer one of these loans?  I couldnt find any information about this on their website. 

Message 5 of 6
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Remember0 wrote:

I disagree with notfancy.

Plenty of CUs do loans on private party. Local CUs and banks definitely do. One of my non-local CUs also does (PSECU... https://www.psecu.com/vehicles/ see the second FAQ question)

Also if you have the cash upfront, most CUs will be willing to let you send in the title later and give you a loan (again, I KNOW for a fact PSECU does do that).

Call your CU and talk to them. That's the best way to address this question. If they say no, call a couple local ones/maybe DCU and see what they say.

PS: Unfortunately, no, you can't sign up for PSECU unless you live in PA or your family/someone you live with is already a PSECU member (the loophole closed years ago). On a side note, can I mention how glad I am that they accept under 18 members to sign up without anyone else cosigning for membership/checking (the loophole closed before I turned 18 lol).

Wow, this is very nice to know! I certainly am happy being wrong in this case! Thank you for correcting me. Smiley Happy Credit unions really are the way to go sometimes!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.