Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cash out refi?

tag
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

cash out refi?

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to do a cash out refi upto 120% LTV? It sucks to basically be back where I was a year ago, but it's a better option than trying to take a personal loan for the same amount. I'm talking roughly 9-10K between NADA retail and what I'd be asking which would put loan exactly at 120% LTV.

EQ is 750 and was looking at shooting for USAA of Navy. Penfed has the "MSRP" of my vehicle pegged at 57625 so I guess this is an option if I wanted 7625 (I owe $50K)

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: cash out refi?

Autos, trucks, boats are depreciating assets meaning their value will continue to decrease the older they get (I'm not talking collector grade). To take an already depreciated asset that carries a loan with equity and cash it out to 120% of its hopefully current liqudation value.... not the best choice as you go down the line. 

Say the asset has a current retail sales value of $20,000 and you take a loan for $24,000 on it, a year or two from now you'll owe say $20k on the asset and its retail value might be $12k to $15k. Think not? just look at trade in values for a 2-3-4 year old E350 Mercedes, or BMW X5's or even say an Audi A6. Check out a $100k power boat 2-3 years after it becomes "used". Add to this depreciation factor the fact that you'll be paying interest for the privledge. As a rule the higher the original MSRP of a vehicle, the faster it loses value and lenders know this oh so well.

Not a good option IMO. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.