Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chances of getting a second car at a decent rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

chances of getting a second car at a decent rate

Hi. I am going to be in the market for a second used (2014)car next month. I am 4 + years into my current auto loan. I have the income to comfortably support both loans. No late payments or any other negatives in the last 2 years. No lates ever on auto loans. Got some serious slow pays from 5 to 7 years ago but no bankruptcies, foreclosures, repossessions or anything that serious. All of my auto enhanced ficos with all 3 bureaus are in the 710 to 737 range, with the exception of the old trans union fico 4 which seems stuck on 693 for some reason. A couple weeks ago I had a credit card showing 76% utilization that I paid off, which will lower my overall revolving utilization from 42% to 28% or so With the highest card utilization of my 5 revolving accounts showing 41%. This will report in the next week and may bump my numbers a bit. I will wait until it reports to all 3 before applying for a loan. Do I stand a reasonable chance of getting this second note at a reasonable rate? If I am forced to go with a subprime type loan with something crazy like 7% or over that would be a deal killer. Would a bank bite on this app? Opinions?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: chances of getting a second car at a decent rate

I think you have a good chance getting a decent rate. I think a bank would go for it assuming all other factors are good.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input. You obviously have a good amount of insight in this, and I somehow neglected to read your sticky at the top. But my debt to income with the new loan factored in would be 27 to 28%. I have been with my current employer for 17 years. I did not know how bad these old slow pays would affect me even though my scores show I have taken strong steps to correct the situation.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update...got instant pre approval online with bank of america at what I think is a killer rate for me. Now got 30 days to decide on which exact car. Will post details in approvals. Thanks for giving me courage to try. My credit is rebounding to where I am starting to get good rates once again finally! It worked out.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.