Established Member
wifey2106

co signing question

my dh and i recently bought a new car with and my mil co signed for us....... we put 10,000 down and our payments are like 210 for 35 months. will this help my dhs credit.... its bad thats why his mom co signed.... and we got 0%apr as well.. thanks
Super Contributor
marty56

Re: co signing question

[ Edited ]
IMHO I dont think co-sign help your credit other then getting the loan and payment history.  You dont get more points based on the credit of the co-signer.  Its not like AU.

Message Edited by marty56 on 06-13-2008 04:33 PM
09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752
Established Member
blue_moon

Co-signing on a loan reports on the credit reports of both the primary signer and the co-signer equally.  I co-signed a loan for my son and this loan has shown up on my credit report since it was opened.  The good news is that if you pay the loan on time, the information will report favorably for both you and the co-signer.  If you do not pay on time [like my son who was  payment late every month] the information will report negatively for both you and the co-signer.  I finally had to take charge of the loan and make my son pay me so that I could be responsible for paying the lender on time.   
Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

blue_moon wrote:
Co-signing on a loan reports on the credit reports of both the primary signer and the co-signer equally.  I co-signed a loan for my son and this loan has shown up on my credit report since it was opened.  The good news is that if you pay the loan on time, the information will report favorably for both you and the co-signer.  If you do not pay on time [like my son who was  payment late every month] the information will report negatively for both you and the co-signer.  I finally had to take charge of the loan and make my son pay me so that I could be responsible for paying the lender on time.   

Correct.

So make sure you pay on time, or your family Thanksgivings and Christmases will be no picnic.
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+