Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

costco auto?

tag
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

costco auto?

hey i don't see anything recent on this on here, has anyone used the costco auto buying program? i'm lookin for a new car and despise the process prob a sonata or civic i might look at a camry too

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: costco auto?

Like with any other services such as truecar, penfed, bj's, etc. it is good to use it as a starting point iin the negotiation process but you can get lower if you are willing to work hard, and do alot of leg work like emailing multiple places, and following some of the stickies in this forum.

Message 2 of 5
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

well so far costco auto is joke, i test dove a camry se at a local place not associated w/ the program. the inital price they tossed out is about the same as on truecar so today i setup an apt w/ a toyota dealer via costco auto, went after work and they were  about $1500 more than the local guy/true car, i setup an apt for a honda for tomorrow, will see how that goes, the best so far though is hyundai the closest costco dealer is over an hr away i called costco and they were like nope thats the closest one in your area, so i talked w/ the dealer and told him i the sit, and asked if the program is anybetter than truecar and he said it depends on the car, for the sonata, he said costco would be 1500 below invoice but the elantra would only be about 50 and that true car would be better, so i said i would consider it, im going to go to a local dealership and see what they toss out and see if the costco guy can beat it

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 3 of 5
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

@phillyguy12 wrote:

well so far costco auto is joke, i test dove a camry se at a local place not associated w/ the program. the inital price they tossed out is about the same as on truecar so today i setup an apt w/ a toyota dealer via costco auto, went after work and they were  about $1500 more than the local guy/true car, i setup an apt for a honda for tomorrow, will see how that goes, the best so far though is hyundai the closest costco dealer is over an hr away i called costco and they were like nope thats the closest one in your area, so i talked w/ the dealer and told him i the sit, and asked if the program is anybetter than truecar and he said it depends on the car, for the sonata, he said costco would be 1500 below invoice but the elantra would only be about 50 and that true car would be better, so i said i would consider it, im going to go to a local dealership and see what they toss out and see if the costco guy can beat it

I've never seen people so lazy to overspend on cars but cry and scream with something much less expensive.

As the poster said above, you can easily beat Truecar, Costco and other buying services. Only the ones that negotiate the price for you will do about the same as you can do on your own, saving you time but adding about $350-$600 to the price of your car buying experience.

You don't have to spend hours haggling, it's easy. Buy a package from Fighting Chance (Google it) or read the various stickies and threads about buying cars. Only use Truecar has a starting point and go in at the end of the month.

I've beaten Truecar time and time again. Even Truecar dealers won't honor their pricing despite what the website says.

Start with emailing, agree to a price around 11-13% below MSRP. Only deal with the Internet dept, they are paid salary and not commission. Once you have a price visit that dealer, but bring with you pre-approval from Capital One or a credit union even if your leasing. Price is just as important to leasing as it is to purchasing.

Dealers won't be able to use the carrot of running your credit in order for you to be approved where they legally can move the rate a few points up or down. They'll be forced to give you whatever the lowest rate is that captives have which is usually better than most banks and cu's but usually reserved from Tier 1 credit customers.

Never talk about down payment, they will base the deal around that and hold you too it.

There are plenty of calculators to get a approximate of what your monthly payment would be, don't be a payment buyer however.

Message 4 of 5
wineman
Established Member

I just bought a 2016 Prius through the Costco service and I found it to be a great experience.

The participating dealer is about an hour away but we had everything worked out by email so I only had to make one trip. I bought the "four" trim with the advanced technology package which seems to be a rare configuration around here so the dealer had to trade with another dealer to get the car. The negotiated price was $500 below invoice ($2,500 below Msrp) and I couldn't be happier with the price, the ease of the whole transaction, and the convenience of the no haggle price. He even threw in all weather mats, cargo net, and bumper applique because they were already on the traded car and I said that I didn't want them.

Thanks Costco!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.