Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

denied auto refi... advice?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

denied auto refi... advice?

So I tried to refi my auto loan and was denied by the same bank Im employed with. credit score 661, reasons listed : short revolving history, utilization (58%), and too many inquiries (9 now 10)

I have a 2007 dodge nitro with 100k miles and owe $9,700 @ 13%.

Is there anywhere I can go to get this done?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Re: denied auto refi... advice?

Gonna be tough with your uti that high. If you can get it to single digits you will see a nice increase in your score.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 2 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Talk to various credit unions (DCU comes to mind currently); however, I would likewise pay down my credit cards as the other poster suggests.

        
Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

So I tried to refi my auto loan and was denied by the same bank Im employed with. credit score 661, reasons listed : short revolving history, utilization (58%), and too many inquiries (9 now 10)

@I have a 2007 dodge nitro with 100k miles and owe $9,700 @ 13%.

I mean unless I don't know Dodges these days the bank is giving you fluff reasons... 6+ year old car with 100k miles and still owe $10k!! no offense AT ALL because I have been WAY upside down in some cars, but is that car even worth $5k? I can't believe I would say it but you probaby have a better chance of going to something like Honda, Toyota, and buy new or lease and just sink all that negative equity of this into it and hope for a very nice rate and be able to drive it a long time with little expenses and try to make extra payments.

when it comes to buying a car, I have never had inq be an issue! I mean shoot I have like 30-40+ INQ just from car shopping!

Message 4 of 11
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I mean unless I don't know Dodges these days the bank is giving you fluff reasons... 6+ year old car with 100k miles and still owe $10k!! no offense AT ALL because I have been WAY upside down in some cars, but is that car even worth $5k? I can't believe I would say it but you probaby have a better chance of going to something like Honda, Toyota, and buy new or lease and just sink all that negative equity of this into it and hope for a very nice rate and be able to drive it a long time with little expenses and try to make extra payments.

when it comes to buying a car, I have never had inq be an issue! I mean shoot I have like 30-40+ INQ just from car shopping!

according to their NADA pull they listed the car valued at $10,180, and they will loan up to 115% of the value, so that shouldve been fine. I paid 2k cash for my fiances ring and financed another 2k on their kay card. Thats dragging my util down. My unsecured CC's I dont carry a balance, but I can pay off my WM soon. dont know how much that would help. Didnt figure a 661 was a terrible score to refi, although I havent ever done one? Might try DCU, its time to join them anyways.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 5 of 11
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I would've expected the same when I started looking, but I went to my credit union and they are going to do it for me. So that worked out, but what I found interesting was they said they used NADA value also, and that the car value was at 12k.... I figured Id be right at the amount owed on value, but then again Im not going to argue with them. I dont have the base model so maybe that helps. Either way it was a success, and I was also approved for the blank check today to purchase my fiances new card Smiley Happy

It was a good day overall!

Message 6 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I would've expected the same when I started looking, but I went to my credit union and they are going to do it for me. So that worked out, but what I found interesting was they said they used NADA value also, and that the car value was at 12k.... I figured Id be right at the amount owed on value, but then again Im not going to argue with them. I dont have the base model so maybe that helps. Either way it was a success, and I was also approved for the blank check today to purchase my fiances new card Smiley Happy

What did you get approved with for CU - Rate and Term?

Blank check with Capital One? rate and term?

Message 7 of 11
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@Anonymous union refi was 60 months @ 6% which I was more than pleased with. Capital One was a little higher, but we will let the dealer try and beat it with no money down. it was 72 months @ 9.9%. which on a 9k loan isnt bad, but we will try and get the best possible.

Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@Anonymous union refi was 60 months @ 6% which I was more than pleased with. Capital One was a little higher, but we will let the dealer try and beat it with no money down. it was 72 months @ 9.9%. which on a 9k loan isnt bad, but we will try and get the best possible.

I hope in all powers in this world you pay that much faster... 60 months on a car over 100k miles is asking for larger disaster than taking out 18% on a new car and 72 months!

but congrats.

Message 9 of 11
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I hope in all powers in this world you pay that much faster... 60 months on a car over 100k miles is asking for larger disaster than taking out 18% on a new car and 72 months!

but congrats.

Oh of course. I still plan on making my $300-$500 payment every month ($280 was old payment amount, but I pay more when I can), but with adding my fiances car, I just wanted to have that option to pay less if I ever needed to one month. Banks will always take more, never less. So It should still be paid in the next year or two.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.