Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

down payment??

tag
dabolts_619
Regular Contributor

down payment??

Can you use a large down payment to leverage negotiations on price???
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Re: down payment??

@dabolts_619 wrote:

Yes.

But you can't tell them you have a large down payment to give... You need to slowly barge it in. Tell them you have (1/3rd of what you really have) to give down, Then when they give you the numbers, Ask them how much more could they lower the price, If you were to give let's say (2/3rds of what you have) and then do it once more.

I did that to drop the price, I got $1,500 off the car price just with this. (This was after we were already calculating the monthly payments and such).

Message 2 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@RushXTC wrote:

@dabolts_619 wrote:

Yes.

But you can't tell them you have a large down payment to give... You need to slowly barge it in. Tell them you have (1/3rd of what you really have) to give down, Then when they give you the numbers, Ask them how much more could they lower the price, If you were to give let's say (2/3rds of what you have) and then do it once more.

I did that to drop the price, I got $1,500 off the car price just with this. (This was after we were already calculating the monthly payments and such).

+1.   Also if you are financing thru the dealer you should use the same approach to leverage a better interest rate / terms.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 7
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@RushXTC wrote:

@dabolts_619 wrote:

Yes.

+1.   Also if you are financing thru the dealer you should use the same approach to leverage a better interest rate / terms.

I agree with this!! I was offered 16% at first!!! O_O!

I showed them that I "Wanted" the car and that I didn't "NEED" the car.

Walked out with a 3.29% APR. Smiley Happy If the APR ain't right, Walk away! They told me the lowest I was approved for was 8% after a while of bargaining, If that was true, How did I walk out with 3.29%? lol.

Message 4 of 7
dabolts_619
Regular Contributor

Thanks I'm already approved threw dcu at their. lowest rate. Truck is 41000 msrp labor day sale has it at 30000. How much should I look to negotiate down if any. I can put down as much as 12-15000
Message 5 of 7
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@dabolts_619 wrote:
Thanks I'm already approved threw dcu at their. lowest rate. Truck is 41000 msrp labor day sale has it at 30000. How much should I look to negotiate down if any. I can put down as much as 12-15000

Oh god.. That changes the game plan. If the MSRP is $41,000 and they dropped it $11,000 most likely there is no wiggle room left... I mean, You can try....

Tell them you have $2,000 and when they tell you how much the price would be after the down payment, Ask if the price could be lowered if you gave $4,000-$5,000 and see what happens, If they agree, You can either take the new price or try to lower it again (Wouldn't hurt to try, Right?).

But IMO I think the Labor day sale removed the wiggle room.

Message 6 of 7
dabolts_619
Regular Contributor

Thanks didn't think so.but I will try just in case
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.