cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finally refinanced away from santander

tag
jeremyj

finally refinanced away from santander

I purchased a vehicle priced at about 24k last October with santander @ 15.9%. As you can imagine, making the minimum payments got me no where... even paying $100 more barly made interest and principle payments equal.

So I finally decided to refinance with a credit union and I got approved @ 6.75%. Its not great I know.. but its a great improvement. I even managed to cut a year off the loan and still lowered the payment.

My credit score is about 630, so I'm excited.

I am excited to garden this year and maybe in 2015/2016 I will be ready to get my first mortgage.

Gardenclub as of June 30th - Less than 1 month - seedling
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Re: finally refinanced away from santander

Congrats, pay for 6months to a year and you can possibly refi again.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 2 of 7
ChangeIsPossible
Contributor

Santander is the worst. When I had them for my autoloan 3 years ago I remember having to pay them a fee to pay on line.

Starting Score: 467 (Dec '13)
Current Score: 670 (Jul '14)
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@jeremyj wrote:

@I purchased a vehicle priced at about 24k last October with santander @ 15.9%. As you can imagine, making the minimum payments got me no where... even paying $100 more barly made interest and principle payments equal.

@Anonymous I finally decided to refinance with a credit union and I got approved @ 6.75%. Its not great I know.. but its a great improvement. I even managed to cut a year off the loan and still lowered the payment.

My credit score is about 630, so I'm excited.

I am excited to garden this year and maybe in 2015/2016 I will be ready to get my first mortgage.

^^^Congrats! Seems like you won all the way around - lower rate, better lender and you cut a year off your loan! I would say that is terrfic! Plus the bonus is you get to say goodbye to Santander Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
black_citi
Established Contributor

Congratulations on that. I am with Santander too. My interest is 13.7% and I want to refi. At first I was going to try and do so with my bank chase but I had got into some credit card trouble with them back in 09. I settled the account a year ago but I don't think they will never lend me ANY kind of loan again lol. There is a credit union down the street from my house and I am thinking of refinancing with them. I owe a little over 20k on my car. I bought my car last July and made my first payment in Sept. My credit score is similar to yours. I wonder if I can try and see what happens.

Make More, Spend Less
Message 5 of 7
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

What credit union did you go thru for the refi?
Message 6 of 7
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.