cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

financing a car with a 660 credit score

tag
bronx1480

financing a car with a 660 credit score

i purchased my dream car last may acura rl 2007 i owe about 23k on the car loan. I'm looking to either trade my car in for a 2009 acura rl or to refinance my car. The car i want cost 30k and my car is worth roughly 19k. i went to my credit union and got approved for a loan but the loan amount was for only 20k. My question is how would i be able to secure more financing for this new vehicle and is there anything i could do so my credit union can approve me for a few thousand more ?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: financing a car with a 660 credit score

@bronx1480 wrote:

i purchased my dream car last may acura rl 2007 i owe about 23k on the car loan. I'm looking to either trade my car in for a 2009 acura rl or to refinance my car. The car i want cost 30k and my car is worth roughly 19k. i went to my credit union and got approved for a loan but the loan amount was for only 20k. My question is how would i be able to secure more financing for this new vehicle and is there anything i could do so my credit union can approve me for a few thousand more ?

Can I ask why you need/want to get rid of your current car ?   Can you wait for a while longer and pay the loan down a bit more ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bronx1480 wrote:

Did you apply as a new car loan or as a refinance?  That probably does make a difference.  

Personally if your dream car still runs fine, I hate the idea of rolling it over into a newer vechile which is about to start the depreciation curve you're already finding yourself on the downslope of in your current vehicle.  Seems like bad math to me, and I don't fault your CU in not liking that idea at all Smiley Wink.

If it was a refinance application, then you're probably stuck unless you can talk them into it (is this their loan they're refinancing?) but if you applied for a new used car loan for the 2009, consider switching it to a refinance for your current 2007 RL instead (absolutely different DTI calculation between the two, which is going to affect the loan amount).

        
Message 3 of 5
bronx1480

Only reason i was considering trading in my car was because i wanted to get my own car loan. my father co-signed on my current loan so i figured maybe i could kill two birds with one stone. if i got a newer car and got my father off of my current
Message 4 of 5
bronx1480

it was a auto loan i applied for if i decide to refinance i was told acura could possibly refinance the car for me
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.