bronx1480

financing a car with a 660 credit score

i purchased my dream car last may acura rl 2007 i owe about 23k on the car loan. I'm looking to either trade my car in for a 2009 acura rl or to refinance my car. The car i want cost 30k and my car is worth roughly 19k. i went to my credit union and got approved for a loan but the loan amount was for only 20k. My question is how would i be able to secure more financing for this new vehicle and is there anything i could do so my credit union can approve me for a few thousand more ?

pizzadude

Re: financing a car with a 660 credit score

bronx1480 wrote:

i purchased my dream car last may acura rl 2007 i owe about 23k on the car loan. I'm looking to either trade my car in for a 2009 acura rl or to refinance my car. The car i want cost 30k and my car is worth roughly 19k. i went to my credit union and got approved for a loan but the loan amount was for only 20k. My question is how would i be able to secure more financing for this new vehicle and is there anything i could do so my credit union can approve me for a few thousand more ?

Can I ask why you need/want to get rid of your current car ?   Can you wait for a while longer and pay the loan down a bit more ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Revelate

[ Edited ]

bronx1480 wrote:

Did you apply as a new car loan or as a refinance?  That probably does make a difference.  

Personally if your dream car still runs fine, I hate the idea of rolling it over into a newer vechile which is about to start the depreciation curve you're already finding yourself on the downslope of in your current vehicle.  Seems like bad math to me, and I don't fault your CU in not liking that idea at all :smileywink:.

If it was a refinance application, then you're probably stuck unless you can talk them into it (is this their loan they're refinancing?) but if you applied for a new used car loan for the 2009, consider switching it to a refinance for your current 2007 RL instead (absolutely different DTI calculation between the two, which is going to affect the loan amount).

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 672, Wally TU 686, EX 702 (04/14)
Goal Score: 700 in all three (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
bronx1480

Only reason i was considering trading in my car was because i wanted to get my own car loan. my father co-signed on my current loan so i figured maybe i could kill two birds with one stone. if i got a newer car and got my father off of my current
bronx1480

it was a auto loan i applied for if i decide to refinance i was told acura could possibly refinance the car for me

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+