Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first time car buyer help!!pls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: first time car buyer help!!pls

i have tried 4 different credit unions and have had no luck, any ideas guys?

Message 11 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

What are the reasons that you are being given when you haven't been approved by the CUs ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

What are the reasons that you are being given when you haven't been approved by the CUs ?

that i do not have enough credit history, it says there are to many inquires in past 12 months and the only inquries in the last 2 years have been one credit card, so im not sure if there counting into factor the loans that im trying to get as multipal inquires,

Message 13 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I don't think that you will be able to finance 30K since you do not have any previous installment loan history.   What kind of a down payment were you going to put down ?

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

I don't think that you will be able to finance 30K since you do not have any previous installment loan history.   What kind of a down payment were you going to put down ?

its a 50k car with 20k down

Message 15 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Your stated income is around 26K correct ?   Even putting 20K down, I think its going to be tough.

Why not take some of the 20K cash that you were going to use for downpayment and finance a less expensive car first to get some installment history, then work up to the BMW ??

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

Your stated income is around 26K correct ?   Even putting 20K down, I think its going to be tough.

Why not take some of the 20K cash that you were going to use for downpayment and finance a less expensive car first to get some installment history, then work up to the BMW ??

yes or im going to try and get one of my parents to co sign

Message 17 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

yes or im going to try and get one of my parents to co sign

If you're dead set on this car, get a cosigner, go to a dealer.  You're putting 40% down, you'll be fine assuming your cosigner income / credit history isn't a flag.  Make payments and go establish some more credit history too.

You're likely going to get a 20% interest rate or thereabouts going alone if you could even get it at all, and then the payment is something laughable like 800/month for a 5 year note: conversely, even if you get 8% that drops it to around 600 which is more workable.  Even with the car, you still need date money.

It's unasked for, but I'll give you a piece of advice from my own wayward life: go finance a cheaper or older car.  Yeah, that car might be pure sex now and for the next few years, but I'd strongly suggest setting yourself up for a better position later.  This car's going to be a high payment on your income regardless, and there's a highly probable chance that money might be better served long-term doing something else with it.  

Also if something happens and you total the car... well... that could be detrimental for a decade.  I hate to say it, but so much of life management is doing your own risk analysis, and that car isn't a defensible position for you currently, much like my purchasing a one bedroom condo isn't a defensible position for me as after the theoretical mortgage, comes the theoretical wife and children.  1 bedroom doesn't even count as a starter-home in that scenario, whereas a 2 bedroom could be made to work for several years while saving up for a larger one.

It's your life, but I'd strongly suggest you reconsider... there's plenty high quality used cars around the 30k strata (12-15 down) that leaves you in a much better position financially, and still will impress whoever you're dating at the time. 

        
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

CU's are typically better for financing but you may qualify with one of the dealer's lenders. The problem is you would most assuredly receive a higher rate and you will be looking at mortgage size car notes. It's risky in the Banks eyes as you might get tired of paying $800 plus dollars a month in lets say 2016 (only 4 years in your loan) for a 10 year old car... You may default and give the car back and the bank will take a loss. I suggest looking following your desire. If you HAVE to have this particular car and will pay anything for it go through the dealers lender. Refinance in 12-18 months. Be prepared to not apply for any new loans in the next couple years as you may have many, many inq's on your CR for the next couple of years.

Good Luck

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.