Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

letting someone take over my car lease

tag
johnnie23g
Established Member

letting someone take over my car lease

I leased a new car that I no longer want. My parents wanted to take over legal responsibility for the lease. Will this affect or hurt my credit in anyway?

experian -725 5/21/2012 Equifax- 734 Trans Union 725 3/31/2012
Trans Union Discover HP - 766 8/31/12

CC- Amex Blue 24.5g, Merrill Lynch + 25k, Chase Freedom 3.5g, Discover 6g, Citi Diamond Prefered 5.9k, Citi Sears 6k, Home Depot 5k

Charge Card- Home Depot 5k,
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: letting someone take over my car lease

In order to get this liability to transfer, you would have to contact the leasing agency and fill out the paperwork (if allowed) to officially transfer the lease. The new responsible party may have to go through a qualification process with the leasing agency.

If you do not go through this process and just let your family member "take over" making the payments, etc... the lease will remain on your credit reports as an active tradeline and any missed payments would be your responsibility. The payment would also be factored into your DTI for other loans until the car is paid off or traded back in.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
johnnie23g
Established Member

Yes they are actually going to take over the credit responsibility and get it switched to them. Will that negatively impact my credit from having it switched off my report?

experian -725 5/21/2012 Equifax- 734 Trans Union 725 3/31/2012
Trans Union Discover HP - 766 8/31/12

CC- Amex Blue 24.5g, Merrill Lynch + 25k, Chase Freedom 3.5g, Discover 6g, Citi Diamond Prefered 5.9k, Citi Sears 6k, Home Depot 5k

Charge Card- Home Depot 5k,
Message 3 of 5
guydiver
Established Contributor

@johnnie23g wrote:

Yes they are actually going to take over the credit responsibility and get it switched to them. Will that negatively impact my credit from having it switched off my report?

It will not negatively affect you unless there are any late payments before you transfer the lease.  You will get credit for the(positive) tradeline for approx. 10 years after it is closed upon transfer.

Message 4 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

This won't affect your credit negatively, other than lenders might wonder why the lease was paid off early.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.