Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new- auto loan with carmax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

new- auto loan with carmax

Hello everyone.  I have been looking at the forum for a while now but to decided to join after getting some good tips.  My question may have already been answered but I will try  again.  I applied for a loan with roadloans and was turned down.  So I tried carmax.  The salesman call me and said I got approved with wellsfargo but with 20% down for a ten dousand dollar car.  Well the interest rate is better than I thought with a credit score of 548 ( from consumer credit counseling-eq) 15.9.  The problem is the 20% down.  I asked him to try drive financial and he said by wellsfargo approving me that he couldn't go to drive.  Just need to know if this could be possible or is he just trying to get more commission.  Any suggestions what to do next. 
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new- auto loan with carmax

What he is telling you is not correct.  He can find other financing for you.  It sounds like he is partial to WF for some reason or another.  Try and get approved by Drive on your own.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know that I could do that.  Are they similar to roadloans?  I will look for their website.  I know that their interest rate will probably be higher but I don't have the down payment now.  Thanks
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I have never dealt with Drive, but I assume they accept individual applications not just from the dealers.  Good luck. 

PS Try searching thru bankrate.com  they offer good info on lending institutions and their going rates.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try Capital One Auto Finance?
Message 5 of 7
newmom24
Regular Contributor

CCBrown,

I purchased my vehicle from Carmax. I've referred my friends to Carmax. Typically, Drive Financials is a last resort for financing. If you are approved through any other lender it is a positive. The salesmen are not paid any additional commission for the amount of car or the lender who finance through.

However, the amount down is similiar to the requirements of drive. They have certain stipulation like the car can't have more than 50,000 miles, and  it can't be more than 2 years old, it can't be a certain make/model, etc. The rules are different now I am sure (I was there in Dec 2005).

I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck.

Starting Score: 474
Current Score: 583
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
trynnagetright
Established Member

The salesman is lying to you. He can try to push you through to Drive Financial but he may not want to because the interest rate is crazy. Though this is not his payments, its yours. However you stated that you do not have the 20% down and that may be a issue for Drive. I have them for almost 2 years now and I remember I had to put 5000 down but then again I bought a 05 Cadillac. My interest rate is around 18% which is high but that is the price I have to pay for not having my credit up to par when I applied (nor did I know of this site back then). If I knew then what I know now, I have to say that I would still have accepted the loan from Drive so that I can have a Auto loan on my credit. I have never had a issue with them YET. However, about the dealership is the ONLY person that can apply for you to go with Drive, you cannot apply on your own. This is cause they want to know that you at least attempted to go with a stronger finance company before resulting to them. This is a last resort company, but that is the price we pay for not having the best scores. My score then was in the LOW LOW LOW 500's. And now it is climbing higher. I know that when I reach 700 I will refinance with a better company and get a better rate and lower payment and save money altogether......Sorry if this post came to late for you.

576: 800
578 EQ: 800
690: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.