Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new car loan and bk

tag
Alpha
New Contributor

new car loan and bk

I am wanting to buy a new car, my current credit score is 670 and will be aprox 675 when i apply. I have a chapter 7 filed late 2014 and discharged beginning of March. i have had multiple new car loans since 2007 all were paid on time and none were included in the chapter 7. I reaffirmed my current car in the chapter 7 and now have equity and am ready to trade it in for a car that has a lower payment. income is $65000 a year and i have 2 revolving accounts that are within $25 of being paid off and a visa card that has a $150 balance. Mortgage is $1460 a month.. what are my chances??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new car loan and bk

I wouldn't think you'd have any issues getting a loan based on the information provided.  Your auto-enhanced FICO is probably even higher if you had positive payment history on auto loans in the past.  The interest rate and amount financed will be the question.  I think you may even get a decent interest rate depending on the loan provider.

Message 2 of 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

You will get approved, it's just a question of rate.  I would apply with Capital 1 online.  They will probably give you something like 8% or 9%.  With that in hand you can avoid getting scalped at a dealer who wants to set you up with Santandar at 21% or a similar predatory car lender.

It would also be worth paying a visit to a local credit union or two, laying your cards on the table, and asking them if they can help.  Six months is a bit quick after BK discharge for most CU's, but I have seen some folks get approvals.

If you get anything above 3% or so, be sure to refinance it in six months when your BK is one year old.  You should have no trouble then.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went through this with scores just a little lower than yours. I had hoped that DCU would approve me, but they declined due to the BK. CapitalOne did approve me for as low as 6.95%, but the car we chose had more than 100k miles. They still approved us at the dealer for 9.6%. Not bad considering the age and mileage on the car. Good luck!

Message 4 of 6
thisladyz
Regular Contributor

+1 most banks and CU's have a 2 year post discharge rule.  I have been discharged since Sep 14 with my BK13 and keep getting the same answer.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just went through this with scores just a little lower than yours. I had hoped that DCU would approve me, but they declined due to the BK. CapitalOne did approve me for as low as 6.95%, but the car we chose had more than 100k miles. They still approved us at the dealer for 9.6%. Not bad considering the age and mileage on the car. Good luck!

-----EQ---- TU---- EX
Nov 2021-- 817-- 817-- 809
Goal-- 800-- 800-- 800
Message 5 of 6
Alpha
New Contributor

just checked all 3 scores and my fico score auto 8's are shown below

equifax 682

transunion 644

experian 712

are many companies  using Fico auto 8 now?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.