Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refi or keep loan as is for 24 more months

tag
peepers
Frequent Contributor

refi or keep loan as is for 24 more months

Hi everyone.

So in 2012, I got a good deal (car price/miles/option wise) on a 2009 Nissan Maxima.  I ended up financing around $21K however at 10% interest as my credit wasnt repaired to the point it is now (stats below).  My monthly payment is $460.  I have 24 months left on a 5 year loan, $11,300 remaining

My husband and I are set to close on our house 5-19.  After closing, I was wondering if it would benefit me to refi for a lower interest rate.  Or have I already in the past 3 years paid the high interest hit, and and paying so much towards Principal now that it wouldnt make sense to refi.

Keep in mind, we were approved with what my car payment is now, and I havent previously refi'd simply because I knew we would be mortgage shopping at some point.

OR, should I trade it in (I would not be upside down) and start with a fresh lower interest loan on a different vehicle?

Advice?  thanks!

AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: refi or keep loan as is for 24 more months

@peepers wrote:

Hi everyone.

So in 2012, I got a good deal (car price/miles/option wise) on a 2009 Nissan Maxima.  I ended up financing around $21K however at 10% interest as my credit wasnt repaired to the point it is now (stats below).  My monthly payment is $460.  I have 24 months left on a 5 year loan, $11,300 remaining

My husband and I are set to close on our house 5-19.  After closing, I was wondering if it would benefit me to refi for a lower interest rate.  Or have I already in the past 3 years paid the high interest hit, and and paying so much towards Principal now that it wouldnt make sense to refi.

Keep in mind, we were approved with what my car payment is now, and I havent previously refi'd simply because I knew we would be mortgage shopping at some point.

OR, should I trade it in (I would not be upside down) and start with a fresh lower interest loan on a different vehicle?

Advice?  thanks!

Hi peepers

You should 100% refinance after you close. You're still paying 10% interest on $11,300 for 24 months.

From a financial standpoint, you should not trade in. You almost always lose money either on the trade or the purchase. Even if they offer you more money on the trade than what your car is worth, its because they are making more money on the purchase or the financing.

Message 2 of 6
peepers
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Samsung. Is it possible to refi for a 2 year term? Something about still making payments year 6 on a by then 9 year old vehicle is unsettling to me (if 3 is the shortest)
AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 3 of 6
peepers
Frequent Contributor

I'd like to add that I LOVE my car, and really would prefer to keep it and pay it off. The vehicle i traded in on this was paid off for year so I keep cars 6-7 years if I like em. Glad to know I'd see some savings by refinancing 3 years in

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could refi and still keep it at 2 years, could even do 1 year if you could afford it.
Message 5 of 6
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@peepers wrote:
Thanks Samsung. Is it possible to refi for a 2 year term? Something about still making payments year 6 on a by then 9 year old vehicle is unsettling to me (if 3 is the shortest)

Yes its possible to refinance for a 2 year term. Minimum loan terms vary by lender, most do any where from 24-84 months. You can probably find 12 month terms.

Go speak to the lenders and let us know what they say.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.