cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove hard inq?

tag
tomato7

remove hard inq?

Hello, I have a question about how to remove a hard inquiry from Transunion. During a recent new car purchase, the salesman said there would be no credit check as the car was being paid in full, only ofac to verify ID. Later, after being passed to the next guy in the office to complete the paperwork, I find out they did do a credit check, and he has the TU score. But he insisted it was only a soft pull. Of course, I later check and it was indeed a hard. I am wondering if it is possible to remove the hard inquiry from TU, and what is the best way to do it? The online dispute does not allow you to dispute inqs.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cakebuilder
New Contributor

Re: remove hard inq?

shady. i would document said history and present to TU. they have proved to be reasonable with others

.......$23k....................$8k......................$2k

Current FICO EQ: 775, EX: 764 | Current FAKO CK: 788

Message 2 of 3
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: remove hard inq?

It's a tough slog. Trying to get an inquiry recoded to soft (not auto related) myself with EX.

First get it in writing from the dealership that it'll be soft. Email them innocuously "to just confirm." Once it's in writing, tell them it was a hard and to remove it. Or if they won't put it in writing, keep calling till someone confirms it was soft over the phone and make a log of your calls, who said what, etc...  Escalate it to the general manager at the dealership if they won't listen to your demand for removal. Be sure to state how this deception (and I'd call it exactly that) is affecting your ability to get credit.

If that doesn't work, present it to TU as suggested. Now you have written proof they were deceptive too.

If TU doesn't help, go to CFPB imo (I'm literally a couple days away from this on my own inquiry). Also look into BBB, FTC, and your state's DMV and/or attorney general.

If this is worth it to you, go for it (for example I am). Will update here if I get mine recoded as a soft after putting up the fight.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.