Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i co-sign his auto loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should i co-sign his auto loan?

i've been working on re-building my credit - all accounts in good standing.

i currently have:

one auto loan

two student loans

one open credit card

one closed credit card

if i am a co-signer for his auto loan, how will it affect my score?

thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: should i co-sign his auto loan?

It won't. Unless he defaults or falls behind on the loan. Then, you'll be left holding the bag. IMO, co-signing a loan for anyone (even a family member) is a baaaaaad idea.

Stuff happens.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 6
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Who is he?  If he isn't your hudsband, then the answer is always no.  Co-signing usually leads to trashed credit and sharing credit with someone is a bigger commitment then getting married.  just read all the threads here about how ex-this or ex-that trashed my credit.  Now if he is your hudsband, then the question is, could you make his payment if he is out of work?  If the answer is no, then don't do it. 

When you co-sign a loan, you are promising to make the payments if the primary applicant can't.  If you can't afford to do this, then you should never co-sign.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a lender, I would never co-sign for anyone on a loan.  I've seen it go bad too many times.  As a co-signer you assume all the risk and get no reward.  Unless you have the financial capacity and willingness to make all of the payments on this loan in a timely manner, I wouldn't do it.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

NOOOOOOO is probably the response you will see the most.

Yes it will affect your credit, or a better way of saying it is that this will affect your ability to get new loans of any type because his monthly payment will also show on your report and be considered your obligation even if you are just the cosigner.

Message 5 of 6
MattH
Senior Contributor

# # ####### # # #######
## # # # ## # # #
# # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # #
# ## # # # ## # #
# # ####### # # #######

# # ####### # # #######
## # # # ## # # #
# # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # #
# ## # # # ## # #
# # ####### # # #######

Seriously, if you want to help somebody get a car, buy it yourself, keep the title and one set of keys, and have them sign a rent-to-own deal that basically says, when all payments have been made you'll sign over the title, but in the meantime any missed payment means you can take the car back and sell it.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.