cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

still owe $9000 on car after end of contract.

tag
Yvette350

still owe $9000 on car after end of contract.

I financed a car with national in 3/2007 for 72 months. My loan was sold to Ally after about 4 years. I have had 3 deferments during the lifetime of this loan. now almost 2 months after my contract should end, they still want $9000 on the car. That's another 2 years on this car. My total pay off would be $11,000. Even with deferment fees and and any late fees they will Asses, how is this possible? How do I end this cycle? I am so tired of car notes. I want to direct that money towards paying off other creditors faster. And who wants to pay 8 years for a car. I already feel like a total loser for financing it for 6 years. I literally want to cry. I'm 43, desperate to clean up my credit life, but feel trapped and raped. I know I said yes, but I still feel assaulted. It has been 6 years on this car, when does it end? What can I do? What are my options? I have no problem paying the extra deferments until June 2013.... But mercy already!!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Re: still owe $9000 on car after end of contract.

There may others that'll probably chime in on this. But for now, Do you have the original signed contract? What about your car statements you receive each month, it usually has the payoff amount on each statement. What were the terms of the deferement? How long was each deferement? I have used a deferements a couple of times during the holidays about 5-6 years ago and it was clearly discussed how it would affect my loan.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Yvette350

I do have my contract. I can view my payments..I do see the payoff as $11,009. I don't remember the terms of the deferments. They were several years ago. I cannot locate the paperwork the defernwnts were 30 day extensions. I had to pay a fee up front just to request them..
Message 3 of 9
ImprovingYouth
Regular Contributor

@Yvette350 wrote:
I do have my contract. I can view my payments..I do see the payoff as $11,009. I don't remember the terms of the deferments. They were several years ago. I cannot locate the paperwork the defernwnts were 30 day extensions. I had to pay a fee up front just to request them..

Wait was this a lease or a purchase? A deferment for 30 days (even if was SEVERAL deferments for 30 days) would not equate to $9,000 in remaining loan balance. Who financed this loan and what were the exact terms, interest and all? Unless you severely under paid for the entire life of the loan you should not have a remaining balance this high.

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly Smiley Tongue) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Message 4 of 9
ImprovingYouth
Regular Contributor

After re-reading, you need to contact Ally and find the exact numbers that were sold to them. I am guessing that they were sold the loan and through some mix up they assessed the beginning loan balance after the 3 years of payments you already made (essentially starting your loan over again from the first payment). Otherwise this was assessed like a refinance in which the terms were extended for another 72 month, but you would have seen a large drop in the payment amount each month (which I assume you did not). If you have included all the information then a mistake was made somewhere along the line and you need to demand a payment history from both companies and crunch the numbers to find where it is.

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly Smiley Tongue) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Message 5 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Is it possible you agreed to a balloon payment to keep your monthly payment down? 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
Yvette350

I re-read the contract. While it talks about provisions for a balloon payment contract, that does not refer to my particular contract

Message 7 of 9
203bravo
Established Contributor

Normally with deferred payments -- you pay the accrued interest and then they tack the payment onto the end of the loan and it continues to accrue interest.  So the deferred payments that you had actually extend the contract by that number of payments.

How much is your monthly payment??? If you deferred 3 months then take the monthly payment x 3 + the interest.

Message 8 of 9
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@203bravo wrote:

Normally with deferred payments -- you pay the accrued interest and then they tack the payment onto the end of the loan and it continues to accrue interest.  So the deferred payments that you had actually extend the contract by that number of payments.

How much is your monthly payment??? If you deferred 3 months then take the monthly payment x 3 + the interest.

+1 This is exactly what was relayed to me when I had a deferement.

OP, it is very important you contact Ally ASAP! You've probably been paying interest on an amount when you didn't need to.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.