Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to buy a used $26k car, how's it look/OMG LOVE DCU

tag
persocon

trying to buy a used $26k car, how's it look/OMG LOVE DCU

Update:

pre-approved from Chase

$24k loan (have $5k cash for downpayment)

3.11%APR that's already including being Chase chck customer 0.25% and setup autopay option 0.25% discounts.

60months

pre-approved from DCU

$23k loan (have $6k cash for downpayment)

1.74%APR   1.24% with Relationship account with DCU

48months

I applied DCU second, and figured lower term would get better rates, and I can scrounge up a $1k for downP)

$26k used car (if i can talk them down $990) less if i can negotiate farther

$5k down

TU 790 per discover card as of April 2014

TU 756 per creditkarma as of May 4 2014

EQ 758 per quizzle as of May 4 2014

EQ 747 pulled by DCU after Chase autoloan hard pull days earlier

EX 788 per credit sesame as of May 4 2014

I paid off an auto loan (toyota financial) of $8500 two years ago, never late payments

I co-signed an auto loan (toyota financial) and currently have $6300 left on that, never late payments

I'm noob, so feel free correct me on anything

Should I apply at my personal bank Chase first? Would I qualify for their lowest 1.99% minus 0.25% for checking and minus 0.25% for setting up auto pay?

Should I apply at DCU? (as in Digital Federal Credit Union right?)

Do you think I should try local CUs as well? I doubt they can come close, because Bellco CU lowest for used car loan is around 2.6%

Thank you guys!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
dballard17
Established Member

Re: trying to buy a used $26k car, how's it look

From the information you gave you will have zero problems and probably get the best rate. The scores your posted are your Fico(fako) scores. The lenders will pull your auto enhanced score which is based off auto loan/installment loan history. Being that you have no negatives in that area you're good to go. Find the lowest advertised rate and go for it. Chances are you'll easily get the Chase loan. Don't be afraid to apply to multiple lenders. My understanding is that multiple auto loan pulls in a certain time frame gets lumped into one.

Message 2 of 24
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I like Chase, but for a new auto loan it makes more sense to apply to a CU. CU's generally have better terms - lower rates and are much easier to finance a vehicle.

It isn't really possible to know what you would get approved for with the info you provided because the scores you show are not FICO scores and those scores have no relationship to FICO scores.

Also, the income and DTI is an important factor when getting a car loan. You are a co-signer on a loan so that will impact how much you can borrow - depending upon your actual income (if it is high enough than it won't effect it).

Message 3 of 24
persocon

oh this is for a used car auto loan, not sure if it's what you mean.

Got it, so all those are FAKOs, same FAKO score I would get if I were to pay each of the bureaus?

Message 4 of 24
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@persocon wrote:

oh this is for a used car auto loan, not sure if it's what you mean.

Got it, so all those are FAKOs, same FAKO score I would get if I were to pay each of the bureaus?

No. There are tons of FAKO scores. The CRA's offer different consumer scores because it is a revenue generating device for them.

When you buy the scores here they are at least FICO scores. However, some auto dealers use FICO scores that are weighted heavier for auto loans and we don't have access to those scores at all. Just the one FICO score offered here. Read this section: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/bd-p/ficoscoring

Message 5 of 24
SocalMark
Regular Contributor

I thought the discover score is a true fico score?

Message 6 of 24
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@SocalMark wrote:

I thought the discover score is a true fico score?

Yes, the discover card is a FICO score. They can't label it FICO if it isn't one. The others are FAKO (CS, CK, Quizzle). Thanks for pointing that out...

Message 7 of 24
persocon

typo edit

updated in first post

For those that have experience with DCU, after you negotiate the car price and finalized car purchase with dealer,

what other information is needed to really get "Approved"

it says "This Approval may include some additional Conditions or Stipulations required by the loan officer for Final Approval and Funding."

underneath it says: Purchase and Sales agreement from the dealer

and front and back copy of title + misc vehicle info

is that really the only other information they need?

what other conditions/stipulations?

will i find out what bureau they pulled in writing in a few days?

PS i'm [not] currently a DCU member but will be with that kind of rates

Thank you guys sooo much!!

Message 8 of 24
Remember0
Valued Contributor

I don't know other details, but I do know they always pull EQ. Congrats.

If you aren't already a member, you'll have to become one before the loan can be disbursed...

Message 9 of 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@persocon wrote:

updated in first post

For those that have experience with DCU, after you negotiate the car price and finalized car purchase with dealer,

what other information is needed to really get "Approved"

it says "This Approval may include some additional Conditions or Stipulations required by the loan officer for Final Approval and Funding."

underneath it says: Purchase and Sales agreement from the dealer

and front and back copy of title + misc vehicle info

is that really the only other information they need?

what other conditions/stipulations?

will i find out what bureau they pulled in writing in a few days?

PS i'm currently a DCU member but will be with that kind of rates

Thank you guys sooo much!!

DCU pulls EQ. The conditions will include purchase agreement, proof of insurance etc.  if they didn't ask for income verification, then it won't be necessary. 

I'm  confused on this statement :

...'PS i'm currently a DCU member but will be with that kind of rates'

If you are not a member then you'll have to qualify for membership 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.