Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to buy a used $26k car, how's it look/OMG LOVE DCU

tag
persocon

Re: trying to buy a used $26k car, how's it look

oops typo

I'm not currently a member, only applied online and pre-approved

so after I accept the loan, I tell them to use the same EQ they pulled for the auto loan and use it for checking and savings correct?

I'm guessing I qualify for their membership as there are 2 cards pre-qualified on the auto loan pre-approval page

DCU Platinum @8.5% $6,800

DCU Rewards @11.25% $6,800

man you guys are helpful. Thanks again!

Message 11 of 24
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Well you can try telling them, but they often don't listen in the sense they click the buttons they are trained to and have no idea what they do on the back end haha. Many people end up with 2 pulls total, but it won't kill you. Smiley Wink But yes, call in tmrw, tell them you want to become a member and go through with their offer on the loan.

Take one of the cards while you're at it. I'm pretty sure they won't pull again for the card. Not 100% sure, but let's say 95% sure. Maybe someone with prior experience can chime in. You'll qualify for membership as long as your Chexsystems is clean generally.

Message 12 of 24
persocon

I guess we'll see if the disorganized DCU will approve me for membership (Chexsystems: had BoA high school bank account go into collection for not keeping required balance or something and basically had fines fining fines, I honestly just forgot, was young and dumb, BoA bank in LA, moved to Denver after high school. But was paid off and account closed only was around $280 after years of fining the fines, deposited 2 bounced checks in my lifetime because of my step dad writing blank checks, most recent one is 1 year and 355 days ago) I'll cross my fingers

Does grabbing one of the cards increase my score? I don't really need another card, my utilization is about 12% I think I just have too many already (17 CCs)

Message 13 of 24
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Ouch, then you may indeed have trouble getting approved with DCU for membership if that BofA account shows on Chex. The bounced checks shouldn't matter as long as you covered the fees associated with doing that and your account wasn't closed or anything. But don't bring it up. Wait till they say something, if anything. But worst case, you have Chase anyways!

Long term? Probably just for util purposes. But not much if there is even an increase. Short term? Your score will most likely go down because it'll hurt your AAoA. Honestly if you have 17 cards, 12% util, and don't want more, don't worry: either decision will not make any big difference for you.

Message 14 of 24
Smooth954
Regular Contributor

If you have anything in chexsystem DCU with deny you flat out you will then have to clear it up get it updated and reapply. I had a 61$ showing in chexsystem from TDbank I closed my account and must of tack on some sort of fee td never informed me I applied to DCU and they approved me and was going super fast offering me all kind of credit products as my EQ was 698 then they just went cold turkey for two days I had to call them the rep said your membership is under review I ask to transfer to the membership department they transferred and the rep on that side said we have to take back the approvals and deny you membership as you have a negative account in chexsystem she said clear it up and wait three weeks till it up dates and reapply are call them if it updates sooner and they will try to continue the process. 

Myfico (7/16/14): EQ:736, EX:678(Prosper 7/16/14), TU:691(5/29/14)
Wallet:

Message 15 of 24
persocon

Approved! I'm now a DCU member

Just applied online and 1 min loading screen later, got member number and time period of receiving debit cards pins whatnot

I talked to Lyn Gabrielson, Assistant Manager at Tyngsboro Branch,

was informed they pull from EQ as usual mine was 747 (can it be lowered from hard pull auto loan pre-approve from Chase 3 days earlier?)

Asked about if another hard pull will be done when applying for membership,

she says nope this one will be effective for 45 days

I'll have to check if there are any additional Hp

Thank you guys!!

Message 16 of 24
Smooth954
Regular Contributor

Re: trying to buy a used $26k car, how's it look/OMG LOVE DCU

Nice good stuff. Check chexsystems as well if you have a concern there as I was also approved with a member number and all then they hit me with the 61$ TD bank chexsystems thing 3days later.
Myfico (7/16/14): EQ:736, EX:678(Prosper 7/16/14), TU:691(5/29/14)
Wallet:

Message 17 of 24
persocon

well Assistant Manager Lyn did not know what she was talking about,

another hard pull showed up by DCU and contact number is different from auto loan hard pull

so 2 Hp from DCU one for auto loan one for member

Message 18 of 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@persocon wrote:

well Assistant Manager Lyn did not know what she was talking about,

another hard pull showed up by DCU and contact number is different from auto loan hard pull

so 2 Hp from DCU one for auto loan one for member

DCU does 2hps. The only time it's a single hp is if you apply in branch for membership. 

Message 19 of 24
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

If the car is listed for $26,990 you shouldn't pay over $25,000 for it....maybe even less.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.