Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tag
flyguy99

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Chances of being approved for personal and auto loan at same time?

@flyguy99 wrote:

What are my chances?  I am looking for a small personal loan of around $5,000 for an engagement ring, plus another $5,000 that I have saved up.  I also want to apply for a $25,000 auto loan, with a $3,000 down payment.  I bank through PNC, and my credit scores are low 700s. 

Low 700's isn't bad, but it probably depends on your income and report specifics.  If I were in your shoes I would apply for memebrship with Penfed.  They approved me for a much larger auto loan when my scores were similar, at the absolute lowest rate around.  Your membership pull can be used for a car and credit card app, so it's only one inquiry on your report.

I mention credit cards, because you might consider using one for the ring.  If you have any card with enough available credit to cover the 5k and not come too close to the limit, of course.  If you have a card that has offered a 0% promo or something, consider it.  Hopefully you have the income to pay off the other half fairly quickly...  

What are your current cards, limits, and balances?  Is this your first auto loan, or do you have good past history with one or more?

Message 2 of 3
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Chances of being approved for personal and auto loan at same time?

flyguy99 wrote: I also want to apply for a $25,000 auto loan, with a $3,000 down payment.

One more thing; Penfed will allow 100% financing up to 60 months on a car loan at 0.99 to 1.99 percent, and you can get 0.00% if you use their car buying service. You might consider putting all 8k toward the ring, as a Penfed car loan rate will be significantly lower than any personal loan or credit card rate.  My car loan with them is 1.49 percent.

If you put 8k toward the ring and either stop there, or put any remaining on a credit card to be paid off promptly it might work well.  10k is a lot for a ring, I assume you have some pretty high income to be even considering that.  Also, I hope you are comparison shopping... prices are extremely variable.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.