cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is a "well qualified buyer" for automobile special financing 0% etc.

tag
startover03
New Contributor

what is a "well qualified buyer" for automobile special financing 0% etc.

While I am sure I don't meet this criteria currently, I would like to know, does anyone have some numbers (fico) to share regarding these "well qualified buyer" interest special financing through dealerships (or other).  I'd like to know what they're looking for?  Anyone who has received this type financing, please share your scores/background?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what is a "well qualified buyer" for automobile special financing 0% etc.

In all honesty, well qualified is another way to say "not all buyers will qualify"   They cannot quantify it simply with a score since there are many other factors that are considered. Ihave seen 580s get a 0% rate due to how the deal was constructed.

Message 2 of 22
blackarsenic
Valued Member

In all honesty, well qualified is another way to say "not all buyers will qualify"   They cannot quantify it simply with a score since there are many other factors that are considered. Ihave seen 580s get a 0% rate due to how the deal was constructed.

Impossible

Message 3 of 22
CMJustice26

I qualified for Nissan's "well qualified" deal (1.9% for 72).  TU FICO pulled by Nissan was 720, put $2000 down and had about $1000 in trade.  Loan amount ended up right at $25K, a little under half of my gross income.

They weren't sure the could get me the rate because I'd never had a car loan, but after some tug and pull they got me approved : )

Basically the sales manager said a good prior auto loan history with a 680 could get the rate.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blackarsenic wrote:

Impossible

Possible: Recovering from a BK, but had re-established, had an existing relationship with FMC with no blemishes, was a Ford Employee, put 3K down, and was a vehicle that Ford wanted to get off the lots.

Message 5 of 22
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

I agree, its isn't always based on score...I qualified for BMW's 1.9% rate when I bought my M3, scores were around 675, util was high on a couple cards, but I was trading in a 24K BMW and put down about $4500. I also understated my income (wasn't sure what my distributions would add up to) so the purchase price was slightly more than my income - that was the only obstacle. But their qualification was a "pass/fail". Not tiered. Every lender/manufacturer is different. 

Also, I have been told my numerous employees - Your score could be in the dumps, but if you've had a flawless payment history with the lender, you'll get another loan. I had a friend who had scores around 590 - but he paid his previous BMWFS loan like clockwork and they approved him for a new one.

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex Biz Plat/BBC/BCP/Schwab/Plat/Gold, NFCU Flagship/Plat, Spark Biz, PenFed, CSR, and more
Message 6 of 22
striders
Valued Member

In my experiences, "well qualified means" NO AUTO REPO for the last 4 years. Even if your score is 700, have low utilization, but you have had repo in less than 4 years, bank will decline the auto loan.

Message 7 of 22
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Yes because most lenders use auto-enhanced scoring, so a repo is a death blow to any chances of a car loan. It is also extremely rare to see someone with a 700 ho had a car repo in the past 4 years... that's a big deal.

At least for Honda, their top tier usually requires a 720.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 22
striders
Valued Member

There IS still a chance though... I got a loan with 9.9% even with a repo record. Not the best APR, but definitely not a sub-prime either..

@cdtotten wrote:

Yes because most lenders use auto-enhanced scoring, so a repo is a death blow to any chances of a car loan. It is also extremely rare to see someone with a 700 ho had a car repo in the past 4 years... that's a big deal.

At least for Honda, their top tier usually requires a 720.

Message 9 of 22
850striver

In 2010, my wife and I were 3 years past bk, had a 700 FICO score and low utilization on 3 unsecured  credit cards.  We had financed our previous vehicle with Honda Finance and did not declare it in the bk but they were aware of it.

Our income was (and remains) 'fixed' based on SS (retirement for me, disability for her) plus a 18k annual disabily pension for her.  We own our home and, in 2010, had a few store accounts open with low balances as well as a $5,000. credit limit on a Dell acct. opened in late 2008.

We financed a new (2010) Civic with only the equity in our trade-in (approximately $2,500) as a dp and received the 1.9% 'special' financing rate (on a 60-month loan).

This was our 3rd car loan with Honda Finance so that was probably a factor.  I plan to purchase a 2013 Honda and expect to receive the 1.9% financing again on the basis of a perfect payment record with them and approximately $4,000. equity in my current Honda which will be my DP.  

In brief, Honda Finance has been good to us and yes, there is life after BK.

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 850

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.