cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the deal with online approvals?!?!?!!?

tag
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

what is the deal with online approvals?!?!?!!?

How can a consumer make an informed decision if lenders do not provide us with the RATE???

I applied with Ally - approved for 20,190.00 (asked for 20k) - no rate listed. It says to see dealer. 

I applied with Chysler - approved for 44,174 (asked for 20K, I would NEVER spend 40K on a car) - no rate listed.....

UGH! How can I effectivly bargain RATE when no one will give me the dang rate.........

How do I do this??? If I go to the dealer and say "I have financing" I cant tell them to try to beat the rate.... considering I do not know what the rate is. 

Someone please advise me on my best course of action........

*still waiting to hear back on approval/denials from my local CU and Wells Fargo. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Re: what is the deal with online approvals?!?!?!!?

@beanie7132 wrote:

How can a consumer make an informed decision if lenders do not provide us with the RATE???

I applied with Ally - approved for 20,190.00 (asked for 20k) - no rate listed. It says to see dealer. 

I applied with Chysler - approved for 44,174 (asked for 20K, I would NEVER spend 40K on a car) - no rate listed.....

UGH! How can I effectivly bargain RATE when no one will give me the dang rate.........

How do I do this??? If I go to the dealer and say "I have financing" I cant tell them to try to beat the rate.... considering I do not know what the rate is. 

*still waiting to hear back on approval/denials from my local CU and Wells Fargo. 

That's very dumb, But for Chrysler they start at 3.69%

I'm assuming since you were approved for 40k+ you're most likely approved for the lowest rate =P

Not 100% sure though.

Message 2 of 10
Simply827
Established Contributor

Call and ask them.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 3 of 10
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

@RushXTC wrote:

@beanie7132 wrote:

That's very dumb, But for Chrysler they start at 3.69%

I'm assuming since you were approved for 40k+ you're most likely approved for the lowest rate =P

Not 100% sure though.

HA! lowest rate I wish. Not with my credit. I did have a previous loan with Chrysler Financial that had no dings..... I think the 40K amount is crazy and mostly likely based on my income and the fact that I pay 375 a month in rent and have no other debt. lol. 

** I plan on calling, however, I am not able to be on the phone since I am on-call and have to be available. Otherwise, I would have called to apply instead of doing it online. 

Message 4 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I think in some cases the APR can vary based on the make & model of the vehicle you purchase. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You can do a lot of things on line.

Some of those things are not really designed for you at all. Getting a pre-approval from any of the auto loan places is really designed for the dealership as a lead generator for their sales department. (Leads are sold back to the dealerships....) 

If you are looking to get an actual approval, go to your CU or your bank. That you can do online because they are there to service your consumer needs and the approval you get will specify the amount, the rate, the number of years, the dates the approval is valid and the age/milage of the vehicle that you can finance.

Then you can go to the dealer and shop your vehicle and rate if you choose to use dealer financing. You will have something in hand to use if the dealer can't beat it.

Message 6 of 10
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

Some of these banks are not easily accessed for us..... we live in the sticks.

I did call Chysler to ask about the rate..... they told me that "because of an incident here with fraud and the patriot act, we cannot disclose the rate." seriously....?

Message 7 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Another possibility is that this leaves the door open for the dealer to mark up the interest rate before passing it along to you.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 10
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

EXACTLY! I argued that point with Chrysler. I told him how can i effectivly rate shop if I do not know what the rate is..... grrrrr. He apologized and quoted the patriot act line again.

Oh well.....

Message 9 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

You need to call and ask the places you applied to for the rate. It all depends on whether you finance a NEW or USED vehicle so be sure to ask for both NEW and USED rates. When I applied with Chase, my NEW car rate was 2.49 (the lowest available) but my USED car rate was 4.90 (the lowest available) for used.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.