cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when can i give the keys to the new owner (private sale)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

when can i give the keys to the new owner (private sale)

i owe money on the car i am selling privately, so the bank has the title. the bank says the buyer would pay me for the car, i would pay the rest of the note to the bank, then they would hand over the title to me and i would pass the title on to the new owner.

this seems like a process that could take a couple of days, especially since i have a cosigner that would also have to sign the title who is out of town. question i have is: once the new owner gives me cash can he take the car right away? or would i need to close out my loan with the bank and give him the title first? i just want to understand where in the process i can give him the car keys and i am not on the hook for anything. i.e. can he take the car home the day he pays for it and then receive the title in the mail 2 days later?

just want to make sure if he wrecked it or hit someone drunk driving that they don't go and see the title is under my name and they think i did it.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: when can i give the keys to the new owner (private sale)

I would check DMV in your state but if you do a bill of sale which new owner will need anyway to get car registered and you make him show proof of insurance with your car VIN I would think okay... but again I would check to be sure.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.