cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year of credit one card, cancel this month or keep open?

tag
latexyankee

Re: 1 year of credit one card, cancel this month or keep open?

Right and that is what I was doing until a month or so ago when we bought a new TV, will pay the amazon from $1300 to zero in 2 payments this time. Sorry I should have explained that better. Charging approx 30% of total limit divided between my 3 cards and PIF every month.

So you are saying when carrying a balance you should try to pay down to 10% or less of that card when it reports correct? I'm sort of at a middle ground here being 18 months since discharge. I am going to keep the credit one card as it is a year old and I will be applying for a car loan in a few months and it is my oldest account.

These boards move fast thanks to everyone who helps, I am going to start a new thread with some related questions.

Message 11 of 19
notpaul
Regular Contributor

Credit one charges for limit increases. They may waive it for you but its hard to see them also waiving the annual fee. I have them but I'm closing them before the fee hits. They did partially refund the one I already paid this year when I told them I was cancelling. May also work for you if for some reason you don't decide to close it.
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 12 of 19
holmesnmanny
Contributor

You want no card having 10% or more of utilization. Overall utilization in total all cards is not really a big deal. It's all about not having any one card at 10% or higher and you don't want more than 2 cards reporting a balance. It's best to just have an idea when the cards you use have their closing date. I like to spread out my cards. I switch from month to month so they all get to show activitity for account review purposes. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 13 of 19
latexyankee

Wow credit one charges for CLI....thats is ridiculous. Well im cancelling that card tomorrow. I will apply for the barclays.

Thanks for all the info regarding utilization, some of it seems to slightly contradict the BK7 to 700 in 24mo thread. Maybe i should re read its been about a year. I will open a barclays, charge some gas every other month and ask for a CLI in 6 months.
Message 14 of 19
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would call them and ask them for $0 annual fee.

Maybe $50?

$100 is insane but it does build your credit.  at $8 per month, you have to decide.

If I told you I could help your credit score and I charge $8 per month, would you pay it?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 15 of 19
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@latexyankee wrote:

So I've always been told I want around 30% utilization on my cards in order to build credit. It even states that in the how to BK7 to 700 in 24 mo thread. I realize the lower overall ultilzation when asking for a car loan but where does the 30% come into play?

Also can someone explain how a closed account would affect my score even it it shows zero lates? I am going to keep the credit one for now ask them to waive the fees and ask for CL increase. Just curious as to how a closed account would be viewed.

Thanks

You want to use your cards as much as possible but you do NOT want your utl at 30%!

Under 9% by the time the statement cuts is the goal.

I never run over 9% by statement end and I have built from $0 to $65k in available CC in 2 years from Ch7.

I charge over $5,000 per month but make huge payments WEEKLY not monthly.

I am not saying it is the only way, but it worked for me.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

Message 16 of 19
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Maybe $50?

$100 is insane but it does build your credit.  at $8 per month, you have to decide.

If I told you I could help your credit score and I charge $8 per month, would you pay it?

OP is 18 months into BK.. I don't think AAoA is a major concern right now. The closed account will continue to report for 10ish years.

Best option I can see would be to close the card and open another Cap1, JMHO though Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 17 of 19
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Maybe $50?

OP is 18 months into BK.. I don't think AAoA is a major concern right now. The closed account will continue to report for 10ish years.

Best option I can see would be to close the card and open another Cap1, JMHO though Smiley Happy

I get it.  $100 is different to each person.

Message 18 of 19
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Maybe $50?

+1

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.