cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5 years post-discharge (Ch. 13) - What are my credit card options? I can't seem to pre-qualify.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2.5 years post-discharge (Ch. 13) - What are my credit card options? I can't seem to pre-qualify.

I finished my Ch. 13 plan in the fall of 2008.  I currently have a student loan, a car loan, and one secured credit card with PNC.  My scores are in the low 700's (Most recently 733 Experian).  However, when I go online to prequalify with Cap One and/or Orchard, I don't seem to qualify for an unsecured card.  What are my options?   Is this something where I'll have to call them to find out if I'm really eligible?  I don't want to take the hit to my report if it doesn't result in an unsecured card.  Any advice?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2.5 years post-discharge (Ch. 13) - What are my credit card options? I can't seem to pre-qualify

Hi Bosrich,

Some folks have mentioned that HSBC Orchard seems to not be pre-qualifying folks - maybe due to the upcoming changing of the guard from HSBC to Cap One.

As for Cap One, they have never prequalified me on their prequal site.  I did call in once and ask the CSR if that really meant I didn't qualify for any unsecured product.  She was nice and offered to app for me over the phone - and of course I got a hard pull (or three) and was not qualified for any of their cards.  They were IIB for me.  Other folks have had different luck with Cap One, but for me they're a no go.

Given that neither site is giving you a prequalification, I would concentrate on other options.  How long have you had your secured PNC?

Barclay's has a few cards that are notoriously BK friendly.  Juniper, Priceline and Apple come to mind.  Would any of these work for you?  Barclays likes to see a history, so it would matter how old your PNC card is.

GEMB store cards are also BK friendly.

And your local CU may be BK friendly.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.