cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 year mark from Bankruptcy - will I see a score jump?

tag

2 year mark from Bankruptcy - will I see a score jump?

In October it'll have been 2 years since my bankruptcy which I've been told by lenders allows me to get a home loan with 5% down.  My question is: because of the 2 year dating of my bankruptcy, should I expect to see a significant jump in my credit score?  It's been hovering around 680 for the last several months with no gains in sight, I've been carrying and using 2 credit cards being careful to have the reported balance always show between 7-10% of available credit, but seem to have topped at a 680 score for awhile now.  No other lines of credit of any type in effect. So..

Will I see a jump when I pass the 2 year mark?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: 2 year mark from Bankruptcy - will I see a score jump?

No, there's no jump @ 2 years.  Also, the clock is from filing date, not discharge.  Your score will gradually increase over time.  If you don't have an installment loan thats 6+ mo, that's why you're not closer to 700.  You're missing "mix of credit".  If that is the case, go get a Credit builder loan.

I'll know @ the end of the month whether or not there's a jump @ 3 years post filing.  If I get a bump I'm sure I'll report back. Smiley Wink

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 2 of 3
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Re: 2 year mark from Bankruptcy - will I see a score jump?

Congratulations to you both on the scores after BK.  My BK hit the 2 year mark on March of this year, I saw no jump.  I also noticed Im struggling to get over 600 CS.  I have a car loan, student loans, and 3 credit cards, feels like I see a 2-5 point increase then a 3-5 point decrease, it never actually jumps.  I'm looking forward to seeing if anything happens after your 3 year mark.  Good luck to you both!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.