cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 years into Chapter 13-this is hard!

tag
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

Re: 2 years into Chapter 13-this is hard!

I didn't start rebuilding until my last year and a half in ch 13. First I got a secured credit card with my bank (wells fargo) then 6 months later I was able to get a mortgage (with trustee approval). Finally in the last 6 months I got a line of credit from PayPal which did nothing but set me up for a comenity approval once discharged. I read PayPal was a hidden tradeline so I felt secure doing it plus I had some money set aside to pay off the last few months of bankruptcy early.
I was one of those rare people in Ch 13 who felt immediate relief. Before filing I was hiding from my phone, mail and lived in fear of how I was going to get by. I had a great lawyer who got me a payment plan that gave me my life back.
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed! I was in the same boat and I felt instant relief! I know it was hard, but I stuck to it. I wasn't worried about rebuilding my credit at the time. i was just happy that I'm out of the mess I got myself out of. 

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have learned so much from this forum, more than any other, I've just hit the 3 year mark with my chapter 13 (filing date).  Last year I was going through credit withdrawals. I was so used to running out and getting a new or different car when any old thing would go wrong and I was starting to have car issues and I felt trapped! Wasn't able to run and do that and it was hard, guess the 13 was what I needed to get it through my head!

Our payment is $950 per month for the 60 months, AND we are on the 100% plan.  I JUST NOW GET IT! I'm finally seeing the light! I have finally started to budget and have been able to save $300 this April.  We use Mint.com, it's free, and it helps you to see where you spend your money. I was alarmed when I saw in ONE MONTH we paid over $700 in NSF Fees to our bank. We've paid over $5,000 in NSF fees since 2013. That was our wake up call! I told my husband, either we get our --it together or we close the account and live off cash cause I'm done.  I can't tell you how empowering it's been to actually have no NSF fees and have money left over.  I've learned a lot and just wanted to share my progress.  We have a goal to pay it off early by next January by taking a loan a from 401k, and only because we are living with in laws and it's driving me crazy. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank god for this forum or I may have gone crazy or more depressed! Thanks for all the advice! Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 28
dt3813
Regular Contributor

I'm almost 1 year post discharge. It IS very hard. I didn't start rebuilding until discharge. And I'm looking forward to it falling off my reports next February. You're almost 1/2 way there. You can do it.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

End of May is my last payment.  The anticipation.....

Message 25 of 28
Grafton88
Established Contributor

Don't forget that there is also the anticipation of waiting for your discharge papers.

Congrats on your hard work.  Soon, everything is going to look a little brighter.  Let us know when you make your final payment.Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 28
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

At least you are 2 years in.  I am still waiting on confirmation from 12-2015.  I still do not know if I will even be confirmed.  Good news is that you can build a money bank for saving.  Also depending on your trustee, you may be able some wiggle room for an auto loan and such.  It is very hard reading all of the rebuilding stories here in the forum and the big credit cards everyone have here which is good for them but they too have to take breaks and garden because of high useage and I think I read somewhere that someone had to reenter the bankruptcy arena.  Take your time and read so that when you are able to app again, your means will not get you in the same trouble.  Happy blessings for you while you wait.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.