cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 cards survived BK - should I apply for anything?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 cards survived BK - should I apply for anything?

Surprisingly, 3 cards that had 0 balances survived my BK7, which was discharged earlier this month. They include the following:

1) Macy's Store Card - opened in 2004. CL decreased from $3,000 down to $100 after filing.

2) 1st Financial Bank - opened in 2006. $10,000 limit remained the same.

3) Target Red Card - opened in 2014. $300 limit remained the same.

Both 1st Financial and Target have done soft pulls since fiing and still have kept the accounts open. What are the chances these stay open? This leads me to my next dilemna of applying for new cards now that I've been discharged. As I detailed in my other thread, I was really hoping to get back in with a Capital One QS1 and Platinum, but I am currently blacklisted. I intend to keep checking the pre-qualify site and reappyling every month or so, at least until they do a HP.

I did apply for and was approved for a Kohl's card ($300 CL) post-discharge. My concern is that if I do not obtain (3) new cards after discharge... what if the cards that survived the BK end up being closed in a few months? Then I'd be stuck with only 1 card months after discharge. I do not want to delay my rebuild. On the other hand, since Capital One  won't approve me, I do not think I have many options this soon after discharge. Credit One says I'm prequalified for their Platinum card, but I've read nothing good about them. I could also go the secured route (Open Sky?), but it seems kind of silly to have a $200 secured card when I currently have a $10k unsecured card (unless it does end up getting closed).

I have several student loans that have a perfect history as well as a post-discharge auto loan which will hit my reports soon, so I am good there. Just need to figure out what to do with my revolvers. As of today, my cleaned up reports show FICO scores of 590-595.

I guess my options boil down to: a) don't apply for anything new, hope that these cards stay open and rebuild with them, or b) apply for Credit One + a secured card, ensuring that I have 3 post-discharge revolvers that won't be closed.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: 3 cards survived BK - should I apply for anything?

I would lay low for a bit and attempt to charge and PIF on the cards that survived BK. I had a Cap1 that reported as open for almost a year after I filed but was actually closed prior to me filing.

By the way, Khols is issued by Cap1. Give it some time and I am sure they will let you back in on their main products.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I did and plan to continue doing every month. I charged less than $10 bucks on each of the 3 cards over the weekend to confirm that they were still active. I'll let their statements cut with the small balances and PIF. BTW, all 3 of these cards have a perfect payment history. 

Also, not sure if it helps any, but my wife was approved for both of the Capital One cards that I hope to eventually get (QS1/Platinum), and I will be an authorized user on both of those accounts.

Message 3 of 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I did and plan to continue doing every month. I charged less than $10 bucks on each of the 3 cards over the weekend to confirm that they were still active. I'll let their statements cut with the small balances and PIF. BTW, all 3 of these cards have a perfect payment history. 

Also, not sure if it helps any, but my wife was approved for both of the Capital One cards that I hope to eventually get (QS1/Platinum), and I will be an authorized user on both of those accounts.

Awesome! Everyone has a different opinion on AU cards Smiley Happy I don't care for them but some people swear by it. Too many new AU cards could take your AAoA down so tread lightly.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.