Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

341 meeting today was totally humiliated by attorney sent to represent me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

341 meeting today was totally humiliated by attorney sent to represent me

I know one thing that's for certain and that is the fact that people can be so judge mental off of superficial things. I had my 341 today and the attorney office I paid 1000.00 in fees not including filing fees does not send same attorney at signing to 341. The lady looked at my face asked if my eyes wear green and they are contacts prescription by the way. She read through my petition out loud in the waiting area I asked her can she speak a little softly and she said this is public record everyone is here for the same thing. True. But other debtors and attorneys were talking where you really only heard soft talking to whispers. I gave my SS card at signing with my licsence and the copies were even in my file today but I recently moved and since the filing I can find my SS card so since I didn't have it physically today the attorney had me rescheduled. I was literally in tears today. Go back 1-5. I'm going through enough and I'm very humbled by it. I called and spoke with someone who said they were in charge and I'm sure nothing will be done to her. I was totally shocked.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: 341 meeting today was totally humiliated by attorney sent to represent me

If it makes you feel any better, write a letter to the bar association and liost you issues with the attorney. That's about all that you can do at this point.

Message 2 of 5
bstone
Frequent Contributor

I'm not saying the attorney was right in her actions, but rescheduling had nothing to do with her, and was beyond hers, yours or even the trustees control.  Federal regulations require the trustee to verify certain information, your attorney should have been very specific what you needed to bring with you to the 341 meeting, your SS card being one of them.

I saw a lady at our 341 meeting who had one of the silver plated SS cards you can order online (supposed to be accepted everywhere) and the trustee refused it saying it wasn't an official government SS card (which it wasn't).

Just remember, this is one small phase of life, you'll emerge and be in a better position in just a few short months.  Before your next meeting though, make sure you have everything you need.

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just filed this Tues. I have my ss card to bring whenever 341 meeting is scheduled, but it has my maiden name on it. Is this OK? Just trying to avoid any holdups. Thanks

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously it's too late to change it, but when I was trying to find an attorney, I made sure to find one who assured me they would be there with me, and he was. When I reached my 341, I was so relieved that even though I paid a little more, I had someone who I had personally met with.

I arrived at my 341 early, so as I was waiting, I saw a lot of attorneys meeting their clients for the first time. They were walking around calling out the clients' names because they had no idea what they looked like. As my attorney's last name was toward the end of the alphabet, I was the second to last person to go in my 341. I watched attorneys who weren't even aware the clients needed a translator, attorneys who sat in the wrong chair (Seriously - had he even done a bankruptcy before? The trustee even said at the beginning where attorneys sit.), and attorneys who didn't even know their clients were married. I felt so bad for these people and I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Hopefully your second meeting went much better.

To lifeat35, check with your attorney (unless you're filing pro se)! I had to order a new SS card and wasn't sure it would be there in time; my attorney told me I could bring an ORIGINAL tax document, like a W2, that showed my social and full name. It had to be an original, not a copy. If you're concerned about your SS card not being enough, bring something like that. When I was at my 341 I had to fill out a doc that asked for any other name we may have been known by, so that is a way to identify your maiden name too, if you have to.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.