Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

401k and Bankrutpcy

tag
wiguy33
New Visitor

401k and Bankrutpcy

Hello all, this is new as I am also new to the forumn. My question has to do with my 401k.  I just had my meeting of credotors (341) yesterday and have been thinking about what I want to do with my life. Been sick alot (2 surgerys past two years) led me to my filing as I also have student loans and noramls bills like housing and credit cards. Well I have been thinking about if I am going to be staying with my employer (been thinking about it for over a year). Well my 341 meeting was the last straw. My brother had to take me cause my truck decided it needed repair. I have enough in my 401k to purchase a decent (new) vehicle after taxes and penalties. I have been thinking about leaving my employer for something that makes me happy and I am now in need of reliable transportation.

My question is: Is it safe for me to quit and take a payout and purchase transportation or do I have to wait for the discharge notice? The trustee mentioned something for 180 days for inheritance and lottery winnings.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Re: 401k and Bankrutpcy

I would wait out your discharge, nothing good can come out of wanting to rush things during these times.

Also, why would you not just get a small loan to purchase an inexpensive vehicle versus taking a huge tax hit on your 401k and killing that.

Think long term.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 2 of 4
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@wiguy33 wrote:

Hello all, this is new as I am also new to the forumn. My question has to do with my 401k.  I just had my meeting of credotors (341) yesterday and have been thinking about what I want to do with my life. Been sick alot (2 surgerys past two years) led me to my filing as I also have student loans and noramls bills like housing and credit cards. Well I have been thinking about if I am going to be staying with my employer (been thinking about it for over a year). Well my 341 meeting was the last straw. My brother had to take me cause my truck decided it needed repair. I have enough in my 401k to purchase a decent (new) vehicle after taxes and penalties. I have been thinking about leaving my employer for something that makes me happy and I am now in need of reliable transportation.

My question is: Is it safe for me to quit and take a payout and purchase transportation or do I have to wait for the discharge notice? The trustee mentioned something for 180 days for inheritance and lottery winnings.

To be on the safe side, I would wait it out.  While the money is in the 401K, it is safe, but it is not safe when it is out.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 3 of 4
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@grassfeeder wrote:

I would wait out your discharge, nothing good can come out of wanting to rush things during these times.

Also, why would you not just get a small loan to purchase an inexpensive vehicle versus taking a huge tax hit on your 401k and killing that.

Think long term.

+1

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.