Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 years out... approved for Amex

tag
barbaralee
Established Contributor

5 years out... approved for Amex

I don't know what inspired me, but I decided I may as well try for American Express. I have been wanting to get my foot in the door with them. I did NOT bk them, and have never had an Amex. August will be my 6 year BK anniversary. As a note: I was no where near as aggressive as even the most passive rebuilder is in my rebuilding. I waited a full year before trying to apply for credit, and I did so very slowly (apply for one card, wait several months, apply for one card, wait several months, rinse, repeat). Looking back, I would have started my rebuilding muuuuch sooner, but it was probably for the best in the end.

So I paroused through the forums about applying for Amex, and decided my plan of action would be:

Apply for Green and if I get approved immediately apply for the Delta card. 

Green was approved! Yay! Must remember to cancel it before the AF hits.

I was going to apply for the Delta card, and then at the least minute decided to try for the Blue Cash Preferred. I was approved for 1500. My smallest credit line, but I am pretty pleased about it. I am not sure how to nurse these cards, though. I know about the 3 month rule for credit line increases, but I am really going to have to reevaluate my credit card line up.

So far my line up is:

Capital One Venture: 13k... I have been super pleased

Capital One Quicksilver: 10k... I have been super pleased

Discover: 4500... Well, I like their customer service, and I am currently enrolled in the double rewards thing, so there is that. I consider it my butterface card. Smiley Tongue

PNC Cash Rewards: 5500... I get 1.75% cash back which isn't awful, but the transactions take daaaays to show up on my account, and the cashing out is set at $50. Plus their customer service is atrocious!! If I didn't bank with them I would have divorced this card ages ago. 

Barclaycard Arrival: 7500... Has not seen the light of day in almost 2 years. 

Target: 2k... I live right across the street from Target, so it helps. 

Bank of America 99/500... Have not yet received. Should come next week. Kind of feeling mixed emotions now about going ahead and getting this one. 

My utilization hovers around 2-4%, everything is PIF. 

And sorry, guys, I have no idea what my credit scores are Smiley Sad I believe they are right around 690s, but Credit Karma has me at mid 700s. 

I really feel like I have come full circle in my credit journey. Now, onwards and upwards to a mortgage! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: 5 years out... approved for Amex

Congrats! Did you try the Amex pre-qualifier or just cold app?

I hit the 5 year post BK7 discharge on Jan 31, never had an Amex card other than AU on a corporate card. So I tried their pre-qual llast week, still showing "recommend" with a wide range of interest rates, so I'm not going to app. I was kind of agressive in 2015 with 4 new cards, the last being in Dec., so I'll wait.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Very nice to get in with them. I burned them, so it will be a no go for me.

Message 3 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Awesome!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 9
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I hit the 5 year post BK7 discharge on Jan 31, never had an Amex card other than AU on a corporate card. So I tried their pre-qual llast week, still showing "recommend" with a wide range of interest rates, so I'm not going to app. I was kind of agressive in 2015 with 4 new cards, the last being in Dec., so I'll wait.

Thank you, everyone!

I cold app, I could not find the pre-qualifier link anywhere! I thought they did away with it. Smiley Sad I am getting to the point where I am fairly confident about approval, but I really think I am just about done. I have a good amount of cards now, and I hate swapping them around, so I think I should be good until the next flavor of the month, lol. 

Message 5 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

Congrats! Must feel awesome Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 9
cem13
Established Contributor

I was encouraged by this post.  I filed 31JAN11 so on 01FEB16 (5 years + 1 day); I apped for Delta Amex.  I was approved for $5K.  I received the card on 07FEB16 and I requested a CLI to $15K but the system countered $10K, I accepted.  I did NOT IIB AMEX.  This is my first AMEX card.

I apped in MAY15 and was denied due to BK.  I checked the pre-qual site and I started getting offers in NOV15 but I wanted to wait to hit the 5 year mark to increase my odds.  I travel Delta often for business and pleasure so I have been anxious to app for this card.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 7 of 9
cem13
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Hi Dave,

You should take the plunge.  See my above post.  You should be fine provided 1) You are at 5 year mark, and 2) You received the pre-qual offers.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 8 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@cem13 wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Hi Dave,

You should take the plunge.  See my above post.  You should be fine provided 1) You are at 5 year mark, and 2) You received the pre-qual offers.

Hi cem - Thanks for the encouragement. I am 5 years post discharge as of 1/31/16. But I don't think the Amex pre-qual is a solid pre-qual as it says "we recommend", and it gives a wide range of APRs, I think 12.9-22%. I've always read here that for it to be a real pre-qual it has to quote you a firm APR. I might be approved on an app for the Delta card, but I don't want a airline card, I was Delta gold medallion for almost 10 years on biz travel and got my fill of sitting in an airplane. The Blue Cash Everyday is the one I want for the cash rewards but it's harder to qualify for than Delta.

I'm set pretty good for CCs right now and will stay in the garden, let inquiries fall off, and work on paying down CC debt - all 0% intro or BTs + monthly PIF usage. I don't pay CC interest, if I wanted to throw money away I'd go to Vegas. Smiley Wink But the 14% util is holding down scores, and that 0% won't last forever.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.