Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 months post DC: Penfed refi and Cap1 auto

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

6 months post DC: Penfed refi and Cap1 auto

So we're just over 6mos post DC, and been building the scores back up.  About 3 days after DC back in January, I was approved for an auto loan with Cap1 for my wife's 2016 Town & Country at 9.79%.  I felt that maybe it was time to try for a refi...I started a Penfed account several months ago and just been sitting on it. A week or so ago I app'd for a refi on my wife's van, but was denied.  The denial said "bankruptcy" and "not enough time..blah blah blah" and then the next day I got a survey email.  I decided to fill it out with less than perfect scores as well as use the spaces to fill in details about my BK and re-establishing credit, etc.  I received a call the next day, and the nice lady talked to me about the app process and stated that it can be confusing and that I had filled it out incorrectly because it states anything 2016 or newer is considered a new vehicle but our van had miles so the system just booted me out. But she reran the app as a used vehicle and immediately approved me to refi the van for $18k at 4.6%. Not the best, but pretty **bleep** good for 6mos post DC. 

Since we were able to get that taken care of I decided that I would go ahead and get me a better commuter...as I have been driving my 26yo truck.  I did the Cap1 auto loan again and was preapproved for $40k.  Went to Subaru and got a great deal on a 2017 Crosstrek...ended up financing $19k at 5.26%.  I plan to refi with Penfed in about 6mos. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: 6 months post DC: Penfed refi and Cap1 auto

Thats so great !!!! Congrats to you on the refi!! and the new car!! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 6 months post DC: Penfed refi and Cap1 auto

Congratulations! I am about a month post BK7 and am planning on looking for a vehicle after the first of the year. Can you answer a couple of questions?

1. How long ago did you open your Penfed acct and how much did you open with?

2. Did you continue adding dollars to your acct or was the whole purpose for a vehicle later?

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.