cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions that I can't find answers to...

tag
TryingtoRebuild2

A few questions that I can't find answers to...

Okay, first off, I have asked this before with no response, but its worth another swing. Can anyone recommend a generous CU in Florida and/or has anyone had any experience with MidFlorida CU post BK7? We can't get in to NFCU Smiley Sad  We filed BK7 in July 13, discharged October 13. Current scores are 610-650 depending on where you look. I only have a Barclay card 2k limit since April, a car loan through Cap One, a Loft card with the shopping cart trick for $250 and I am an AU on some accounts. The more that I have read, the more it looks like those AU accounts aren't really helping much, so I would like to add a CC. I am pretty sure I could get approved for a Cap One (never burned them and have been paying the auto loan ahead of schedule with extra towards principle), but I just went on the discover site and they said to app for the Discover It... So, if someone can reccomend a CU, I can go that route, OR has anyone been approved for the Discover It before 1 year post discharge? When I went to MidFlorida to look at apping for a card, they actually ask what you would like to request for your credit line!?! I don't even know where to start with that! I really appreciate all of the help that these boards have given me, and subscribe and have read the BK to 700 AND BK Friendly CC many many times!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: A few questions that I can't find answers to...

If you have 10 or more months payment history since your discharge, then there is a good chance that you can get an unsecured card with a credit union here in Florida. I got an unsecured cc with Vystar after having 10 months payment history on a Vystar secured card. Why not just got for the Cap1 card?

Message 2 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

My local CUs here in NC request twelve months of three positive TLs reporting before they will give an unsecured card or refinance a car or anything like that...
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 7
TryingtoRebuild2

@ezdriver wrote:

If you have 10 or more months payment history since your discharge, then there is a good chance that you can get an unsecured card with a credit union here in Florida. I got an unsecured cc with Vystar after having 10 months payment history on a Vystar secured card. Why not just got for the Cap1 card?

I am afraid that if I do a Cap One I will be stuck with low limits :/ I have heard that after the first credit steps increase they don't raise your limit again. I would prefer to get a card that will continue to grow after the first CLI!

Message 4 of 7
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

Where are you located? I am also in central Florida and I'm in the process of filing Chapter 7.
Credit conscience!
Message 5 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@TryingtoRebuild2 wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

I am afraid that if I do a Cap One I will be stuck with low limits :/ I have heard that after the first credit steps increase they don't raise your limit again. I would prefer to get a card that will continue to grow after the first CLI!

Sometimes the best solutions are those that are implemented in steps/stages. Forget about the level of the tradeline and focus on constructing a robust credit profile [TL credit limits size matters not!] of having about three tradelines reporting ontime payments and none exceeding 3% of the TL's credit limit. It is that simple. Step #2, a year or so down the road, you will have options to obtain higher credit limits and replacement credit credit cards. I started with two secured cards [$300 each] and now I'm being offered Barclays and Cap1 with several thousand $$ limits. You choose which is more important to you but I do not recommend chasing credit limits when your credit profile don't support them.

Message 6 of 7
TryingtoRebuild2

Thanks for the advice! I needed that alternate view point. After going to the CapOne site, I was a little nervous that they didn't match me to an offer, but I applied for the Quicksilver One and was approved for a 3k limit! That is much better than I was expecting to start with them, so I am really happy. Plus I get the 1.5% cashback Smiley Happy A much better card overall than I was expecting. There is a $39 annual fee, but I'm hoping to quickly recoup that. I use my Barclays heavy and pay it down to 5-10% before the statement date. No I can spread that over both cards and get rewards without paying interest!!! I may have to look at getting the DH a Quicksilver as his other 2 cards age some. Thanks again, and I will still take advice on Florida CUs if anyone gets any info!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.