cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPROVED for AMEX less than 6 months after discharge!!!

tag
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

APPROVED for AMEX less than 6 months after discharge!!!

ETA:  I was just approved for the Green card today, March 11th!  Woo Hoo!

Now back to the garden, where I shall stay until my CH13 drops from my CR in late 2018.  And honestly, I'm done applying.  I thought I wanted Citibank and Chase cards in the furute but with the 2nd Amex, what I currently have will be sufficient for a long time.  The apping thrill is gone, thank God!!

I am so excited!!  I just applied for an American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card and I was APPROVED!!!  And it shows member since 2000!!!  I believe AMEX was IIB but did not respond to the petition or maybe I had defaulted years before filing (can't remember).  In any case, I still owed them a balance of around $6k.  I was instantly approved and also received an email that said "We're excited that you have chosen American Express again."  They're excited??  I'm over the moon!!  LOL!!

Background info

My Ch13 was discharged in August 2016

Current scores range between 650 - 675

Current cards - Barclays - $6.7k, Capital One $3k, CFNA $2.2k, BOA $500, PaypPal $750 and now BCE at $1.8k

I started rebuilding my credit about 2.5 years into my 13 so I have about 2 and a half years of positive tradelines.  I also just recently got a car loan with WFDS at 4.99% on $26k with no money down.  All my cards have a zero balance and I use them sporadically, as I am working on building my cash reserves. 

Now that I have a prime card, I'm DONE!!  I don't have a want for anything else.  I'm hoping once all my negative info falls off in 2018 that BOA will raise my limit. 

Thanks to everyone in these threads and all the helpful information.  I'm on this forum everyday for motivation!  Prior to bankruptcy I had a stellar credit score and I'm hoping I will get back there soon.

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: APPROVED for AMEX less than 6 months after discharge!!!

That's awesome...Gives me hope!
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 2 of 25
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

@luxeprw9 wrote:

I am so excited!!  I just applied for an American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card and I was APPROVED!!!  And it shows member since 2000!!!  I believe AMEX was IIB but did not respond to the petition or maybe I had defaulted years before filing (can't remember).  In any case, I still owed them a balance of around $6k.  I was instantly approved and also received an email that said "We're excited that you have chosen American Express again."  They're excited??  I'm over the moon!!  LOL!!

Background info

Congrats on the approval!  My scores are in the same range as yours (656-686) and my Ch. 13 was also discharged in August 2016.  I did not burn AMEX in the BK and had not had an AMEX card since the early 90's (I think).  After reading your story, I went to the AMEX prequal and they did not have any offers for me so I'm reluctant to pull the trigger.  BCE is one of the cards I have planned to apply for in the near future.  Did you cold app or did you use the prequal first?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Message 3 of 25
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@2GreenThumbs wrote:

@luxeprw9 wrote:

Background info

Congrats on the approval!  My scores are in the same range as yours (656-686) and my Ch. 13 was also discharged in August 2016.  I did not burn AMEX in the BK and had not had an AMEX card since the early 90's (I think).  After reading your story, I went to the AMEX prequal and they did not have any offers for me so I'm reluctant to pull the trigger.  BCE is one of the cards I have planned to apply for in the near future.  Did you cold app or did you use the prequal first?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks!

I went to the prequal about 100 times and there were never any offers.  After reading a rebuild story and seeing they had been approved for AMEX with a CH13 still reporting I figured I had nothing to lose.  I honestly thought I was blacklisted so I thought I wouldn't get the HP anyway!  So I cold apped and was approved.  I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I only have 2 HP on my EX report.  I've read other rebuilds that have gotten approved for AMEX, so I think you have a fair shot.  If you don't mind a HP I'd say try it!!  You may be pleasantly surprised like I was!!

ETA: My original OP was incorrect - I was approved for the Everyday Card and not the Blue Cash.  It was quite confusing when I applied and I was so freaking excited I ddin't pay attention to the actual card I was approved for.  I believe the one I have is very entry level so I'm sure that's why I was approved.

Also, I don't plan on asking for a credit line increase.  I'm just going to wait and see if the do an auto increase.  I'm not asking for any increase for any of my card, in fact.  Until my bankruptcy is no longer reporting, I'm just going to garden and let all the negatives fall off.  Everyone has there own opinions on CLI but it's not very important to me right now.  I'm patient - timing is everything!

EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Message 4 of 25
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!

I went to the prequal about 100 times and there were never any offers.  After reading a rebuild story and seeing they had been approved for AMEX with a CH13 still reporting I figured I had nothing to lose.  I honestly thought I was blacklisted so I thought I wouldn't get the HP anyway!  So I cold apped and was approved.  I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I only have 2 HP on my EX report.  I've read other rebuilds that have gotten approved for AMEX, so I think you have a fair shot.  If you don't mind a HP I'd say try it!!  You may be pleasantly surprised like I was!!

ETA: My original OP was incorrect - I was approved for the Everyday Card and not the Blue Cash.  It was quite confusing when I applied and I was so freaking excited I ddin't pay attention to the actual card I was approved for.  I believe the one I have is very entry level so I'm sure that's why I was approved.

Also, I don't plan on asking for a credit line increase.  I'm just going to wait and see if the do an auto increase.  I'm not asking for any increase for any of my card, in fact.  Until my bankruptcy is no longer reporting, I'm just going to garden and let all the negatives fall off.  Everyone has there own opinions on CLI but it's not very important to me right now.  I'm patient - timing is everything!

Your story emboldened me since I read it last night.  This morning, I took a few steps.  First, I signed up for a CK account, just to see what card recommendations I would get.  My recommendations were:  "Very Good Approval Odds" for AMEX ED and Cap1 Venture.  "Good Approval Odds" for AMEX BCE, Cap1 QS1 MC (I already have QS Visa $11,000 and QS MC $10,000 so I didn't want that).  "Fair Approval Odds" for US Bank Visa Sigg.   Now, I understand that these recommendations are just that, recommendations and NOT pre-approvals, but I just wanted to get a guage as to where I might be.  Then I signed onto AMEX prequal site again, just to check.  NOTHING.  I decided to app anyway.  Filled out the BCE app, said a little prayer, and hit enter.  Several questions later,  I was approved for $1,000!  It's my lowest card to date, but I was excited and I know it will grow!   I left the garden on Friday to app for a new QS and because I was contemplating opening a new Chase checking.  I saw your story, thought we were in a similar situation and knew that I wanted to eventually add AMEX to my credit portfolio.  Thank you for sharing!  I'm also headed back to the garden until April 2018 when this Ch. 13 falls off my reports.  At that time, I'll try to add Citi Costco Visa to my portfolio and revisit thoughts of getting back in with Chase.       Good luck on your journey luxeprw9!

Message 5 of 25
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@2GreenThumbs wrote:

Thanks!

Your story emboldened me since I read it last night.  This morning, I took a few steps.  First, I signed up for a CK account, just to see what card recommendations I would get.  My recommendations were:  "Very Good Approval Odds" for AMEX ED and Cap1 Venture.  "Good Approval Odds" for AMEX BCE, Cap1 QS1 MC (I already have QS Visa $11,000 and QS MC $10,000 so I didn't want that).  "Fair Approval Odds" for US Bank Visa Sigg.   Now, I understand that these recommendations are just that, recommendations and NOT pre-approvals, but I just wanted to get a guage as to where I might be.  Then I signed onto AMEX prequal site again, just to check.  NOTHING.  I decided to app anyway.  Filled out the BCE app, said a little prayer, and hit enter.  Several questions later,  I was approved for $1,000!  It's my lowest card to date, but I was excited and I know it will grow!   I left the garden on Friday to app for a new QS and because I was contemplating opening a new Chase checking.  I saw your story, thought we were in a similar situation and knew that I wanted to eventually add AMEX to my credit portfolio.  Thank you for sharing!  I'm also headed back to the garden until April 2018 when this Ch. 13 falls off my reports.  At that time, I'll try to add Citi Costco Visa to my portfolio and revisit thoughts of getting back in with Chase.       Good luck on your journey luxeprw9!

That is so exciting to hear!!  Made my day - Congrats to you!!

Right now I have a Capital One Platinum with a $3k limit that I hope to move to a QS and increases to your level.  The problem is, I just don't spend a lot of money!  I use it for auto pay on my utitlites but that's it.  And I run my everyday purchases thru my Amex (which is a very small amount as well).  All my other cards have zero balances.  That's one of they reasons I'm gardening and not asking for any CLI - I just do not spend alot of money so I don't think I'd be eligible for an CLI.  After my bankruptcy, I've been focusing more on building my cash reseves. 

EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Message 6 of 25
elim
Senior Contributor

@2GreenThumbs wrote:

Thanks!

@2GreenThumbs  Mark the date on your spreadsheet. You are eligible for a 3x CLI (if approved) in 90 days, and another 3x (if approved) 180 days after that. In 9 months it can be a 9k card. I just went through building a 1k Amex and was successful.

Congrats OP!  Great post, lol

Message 7 of 25
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Congrats! I've checked the Amex pre-qualifier page at least a dozen times and and always got the "we don't find any offers for you". Just checked again now after reading your post and you know what??? I got a "Dave, we have found the following Pre-qualified card offers for you"!! They're offering the BCE with the $250 cash back for charging $1000 within 3 months!

But I'm going to pass for now. Smiley Surprised I just passed the 6 year post BK7 discharge in late Junuary, which may have triggered the offer. But I have 7 derogatory accounts included in my BK7 that will fall off between April - August, depending on the account, and that should boost the score from the current 720 CK Fako. And the fall is my time for a new CC, property taxes & $600+ filling the propane tank (life in the boonies!) make it easy to earn those spend bonuses.

But thanks for your post, and nice to know AmEX doesn't hate me anymore. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 25
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

That is so exciting to hear!!  Made my day - Congrats to you!!

Right now I have a Capital One Platinum with a $3k limit that I hope to move to a QS and increases to your level.  The problem is, I just don't spend a lot of money!  I use it for auto pay on my utitlites but that's it.  And I run my everyday purchases thru my Amex (which is a very small amount as well).  All my other cards have zero balances.  That's one of they reasons I'm gardening and not asking for any CLI - I just do not spend alot of money so I don't think I'd be eligible for an CLI.  After my bankruptcy, I've been focusing more on building my cash reseves. 

I don't spend much either, and I run what I can through my QS Visa to show Cap1 some love.  I think that's why they offered the QS MC.  I'll try to show AMEX similar love so that I can build that card as well.

Message 9 of 25
elim
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Congrats! I've checked the Amex pre-qualifier page at least a dozen times and and always got the "we don't find any offers for you". Just checked again now after reading your post and you know what??? I got a "Dave, we have found the following Pre-qualified card offers for you"!! They're offering the BCE with the $250 cash back for charging $1000 within 3 months!

But I'm going to pass for now. Smiley Surprised I just passed the 6 year post BK7 discharge in late Junuary, which may have triggered the offer. But I have 7 derogatory accounts included in my BK7 that will fall off between April - August, depending on the account, and that should boost the score from the current 720 CK Fako. And the fall is my time for a new CC, property taxes & $600+ filling the propane tank (life in the boonies!) make it easy to earn those spend bonuses.

But thanks for your post, and nice to know AmEX doesn't hate me anymore. Smiley Happy

wooohooooooooooooo!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.