Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTOMATIC STAY BEING LIFTED ON VEHICLE

tag
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Re: AUTOMATIC STAY BEING LIFTED ON VEHICLE

Who else could they 'inform'? No one. Collection activities against the petitioner should cease during the stay. They also aren't 'informing' anyone, they are attempting to collect property. My question wasn't who else could they reach out to, it was whether contacting the petitioner (OP) is legal.

Message 11 of 15
holmesnmanny
Contributor

@empressj wrote:

@holmesnmanny, you mentioned Well Fargo being hard asses. I filed bk 10/5/16 and finance a car through WF, never have been late and do not plan to reaffirm. Are they known to take car back even if one hasn't been late? 

May I ask what was your experience with them. I have less than 30 days left before DC and concerned. I have read my contract and don't see much about bankruptcy. TIA!

Actually it just dawned on me that it was Ford that was doing this, not Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo is the bank that locks up any amount of money in a bk debtors account upon notification of bankruptcy filing. My mistake. Sorry about that. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 12 of 15
holmesnmanny
Contributor

@beezer32 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes I'm behind but only about 15 days behind but willingly to pay until discharge happens. I kind of figured because I was pro se this may be happening. The lawyer for the finance company actually called me before the motion was submitted asking for the location of the vehicle. I will try objecting to the motion. I can't really afford a lawyer.

If you're under automatic stay, which you are after filing, why is their attorney calling you? I understand that in a attorney represented case where the vehicle is not being reaffirmed, that they may contact the attorney for surrender details. However, when contacting you (the petitioner protected under the stay), doesn't this violate the stay itself even though you are pro se (your own attorney in a sense)? Someone with more experience care to elaborate on the technicality?

Also, you said you are willing to pay your car payment until discharge occurs (I assume in order to have a ride until you have to give it up). You can bet that the creditor will not do you any favors and will want to immediately retake the property quickly. The faster they can get it back, the quicker they can resell at auction and recoop the money. I also find it unusual that a finance company pursue lifing of the stay in general. This isn't common practice unless the vehicle is very late model and of high value. Normally, with an intent to surrender included in the BK petition, they will wait until discharge or just before to repossess.

Lastly, it is ill-advised to take on any new debt, including emergency auto financing while in any phase of the bankruptcy. I know that doesn't help your situation but you do not want to catch the eye of your Trustee at any point. He/She is absolutely not your friend and it could end badly for your case. YMMV however..

When someone files bankruptcy, there is an address on record for purposes of service. For the debtor, when the creditor files a motion or such the bankruptcy court will send notice to the debtor. There is no reason for the creditor to contact the debtor whatsoever, especially in an attempt to collect, or in this case, to find the location of the car, that is until it receives an order of automatic stay being lifted. 

It is indeed unusual for the finance company to pursue it however I can't find any reason why every company wouldn't be doing this if the debtor was behind on payments. The sooner they repossess the less money they lose, or the more quickly the money they can recover. 

With regards to taking on new debt, any debt incurred in a chapter 7 bankruptcy after filing date is not dischargeable. There is no real reason the trustee would object to someone taking on a car payment so long as it is within normal means and doesn't represent a big change in what was reported in the schedules as being outside of the income reported. I know of many people that have bought new cars while in bankruptcy and can't recall someone reporting that the trustee made a big stink. 

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently purchased the car in early September which is why I think they are lifting the stay. The finance company is also very close to state I reside. I was only on my second payment. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems with discharge. I haven't received a presumption of abuse. It's a 2012 Cruze with 110000 miles with a 24.99 interest rate with problems. I needed a car badly to get back and forth from work.

Message 14 of 15
holmesnmanny
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I recently purchased the car in early September which is why I think they are lifting the stay. The finance company is also very close to state I reside. I was only on my second payment. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems with discharge. I haven't received a presumption of abuse. It's a 2012 Cruze with 110000 miles with a 24.99 interest rate with problems. I needed a car badly to get back and forth from work.

Ok so you really need to do some researching and computations. It would appear your car payment is fairly big. It is going to depend on how far your commute is. If it's not far, it might be best to Uber it. This depends on if you can't get financed for another car. If your commute is far and you can't get another car you need to think about reaffirming the loan. You can atleast try to see if they will reaffirm for the kelly blue book of the car which might need a lawyer to help negotiate. You can try checking around with lawyers that will give you a free consultation. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.