cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on adding car loan to mix post BK discharge...thoughts????

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Advice on adding car loan to mix post BK discharge...thoughts????

I sure have posted a lot today, but I had a lot on my mind that I need some help with!!

Ok so current situation....
My BK was DC'ed on 8/19/13. I have a car loan thru Santander Consumer, USA that I've had for 14 months, with a whopping 22% interest!! My payments are only $275 a month, have never been late, and owe about 9,800 left. Here's the problem....when filed for bK in May, Santander removed my loan off all 3 reports, so all my good history with the loan is GONE!!! My Attny advised me to not reaffirm the debt, since I was current and the car is worth more than owed in it, too just keep making the payments.
Fast forward to last week.... BK final , and I contacted Santander to ask them to put my acct back on the CRA's and they refused cause I didn't reaffirm!! (Sighs)...

So, do I try and get a refi for car somewhere else so it can report to all 3 CRA's again??? I currently have 2 federal student loans reporting current and good, one small and one larger. Would trying to obtain a car refi be worth it and help my scores or should I leave it alone ?? Please anyone give me your 2 cents on this!!!! Thank you Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Advice on adding car loan to mix post BK discharge...thoughts????

My auto loan that I kept, and reaffirmed, is not being reported to any credit bureau. They are not obligated to report so you cannot force them to do it. The reason that your attorney advised you to not reaffirm the loan was to protect you from liability for the loan should you have to give up the car for any reason. The car cannot be repo'd just as long as you are current with loan payments. That advice makes sense. Research reaffirmation if you want to better undertand the reasoning behind the attorney's advice.

Forget about the auto loan and get yourself a couple of credit cards and one small secured installment loan. That would be more than enough tradelines and mix to rebuild your credit.

Message 2 of 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Ezdriver- thanks for the response!! Appreciate it Smiley Happy I have 2 separate federal student loans and was under the impression that they were labeled as installment loans. I did get a secured visa thru my bank for $500 last month but it has not shown yet on any CRA Smiley Sad hopefully soon
Message 3 of 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

I would first rebuild and then try to refinance the loan. If you try to now fresh out of BK you will pay more in interest. Read every single page of this thread and then read it 998667357 more times haha! Really though, it is a great plan and a perfect place to start.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Happy rebuilding Smiley Happy 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.