Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on card activation prior to Ch. 7 discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on card activation prior to Ch. 7 discharge

Chapter 7 is different from chapter 13. Chapter 13 is ongoing, which is why you can't apply for credit without approval. Chapter 7 is a snapshot of the day you file. You have more freedom to do things in chapter 7. Not saying that you should apply for credit during an open chapter 7, just that it's not banned. 

Message 11 of 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chapter 7 is different from chapter 13. Chapter 13 is ongoing, which is why you can't apply for credit without approval. Chapter 7 is a snapshot of the day you file. You have more freedom to do things in chapter 7. Not saying that you should apply for credit during an open chapter 7, just that it's not banned. 

Where this can be an issue is if your case is "no asset" and you obtain credit prior to discharge it is technically IIBK. Not a good idea at all, just wait for d/c paperwork Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No it's not. Only the debts that existed on the date of filing are included in bankruptcy. I talked to one attorney who even suggested that I not hire him until after I file myself, that way my debt to him wouldn't be included in the BK. 

That said, it's not necessarily a good idea to open an account prior to discharge. Just discussing whether or not it is legal.

Message 13 of 14
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

The above poster is correct.

Any debt incurred prior to filing - even if you failed to list in on your petition - is included and discharged. This is important because if collections show up, they can be discharged.

Any debt incurred in a Ch. 7 that is incurred after filing is considered post petition debt, and not dischargable.

Again, it is not illegal, but definitely frowned upon and not advised to prevent issues with your case.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.