Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice requested regarding discharged utility bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice requested regarding discharged utility bill

I filed a BK 13 in 2001, it was discharged 05/2006 and BK fell off my CR's last year. Included in this BK was an old electric utility bill (Southern California Edison) (date opened 01/1996), it appeared to fall off my CR's prior to my BK discharge. It is now showing up again on my Equifax CR as the following:

Account Number: XXXXXXX
Current Status: WAGE EARNER PLAN
Account Owner: Individual Account.
High Credit: $0
Type of Account An installment loan has a fixed number of payments and the same payment due each month, such as a car loan or student loan.:
Installment Credit Limit: $0
Term Duration:
Terms Frequency:
Date Opened: 01/1996
Balance: $0
Date Reported: 04/2006
Amount Past Due: $0
Date of Last Payment: 04/2006
Actual Payment Amount: $0
Scheduled Payment Amount: $0
Date of Last Activity: N/A
Date Major Delinquency First Reported: 04/2006
Months Reviewed: N/A
Creditor Classification:
Activity Description: N/A
Charge Off Amount: $0
Deferred Payment Start Date:
Balloon Payment Amount: $0
Balloon Payment Date:
Date Closed:
Type of Loan: Utility Company
Date of First Delinquency: 04/2006
Comments: Account involved in chapter 13 debt adj.

What, if anything, can I do to get this removed or am I stuck with this negative an additional 7 years Smiley Sad

Your advice is appreciated!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice requested regarding discharged utility bill

IF you still have your paperwork showing that debt as included in the 2001 BK, I would suggest doing the following (if the first doesn't work do the second):

1: Contact the creditor and notify them that this was reported to the bureau after the full discharge was granted. Request a letter stating that it was reported in error and should be removed. If you get it, send to the bureau.

2: Dispute the trade as "previously discharged" and "too old to be on file, remove", with the date of the BK discharge.

On a side note, you've got grounds for civil action should either the creditor and/or the bureau refuse to clean this up. First, the fact that they re-added an account that was removed due to the timing (FCRA). Second, the Date First Reported is inaccurate (FCRA). Third, the fact that they added the invalid account again for no logical reason was/is damaging to your credit (CCPA) Fourth, I assume the bureau did not notify you of the re-addition of the tradeline to your credit in writing within the 5-day timeframe (FCRA).

Of course all of that is worst case. Try to work with the creditor first; it was likely computer error.
Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.