cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Chapter 7 - There is a LIGHT!

tag
freshstart30

After Chapter 7 - There is a LIGHT!

I haven't posted much on this forum, but I have definitely used the forum to guide me through my process! I am hoping this update will also help someone!

I filed bk in April of last year due to my lack of knowledge on credit and finances. All of my debt was putting me in a deeper and deeper hole! Bad credit equaled a bad car  and a bad car loan. Which then equaled costly repairs,(have to have a way back and forth to work) and costly repairs equals some bills not being paid. It was a cycle for me for two years! After much research I finally decided that Chapter 7 was the best thing for me. I met with a lawyer who was charging me $1500 to represent me but that was way too much and I needed a faster way out of my debt. Back to the internet, I found a company online the prepares you bankruptcy paperwork for $200 and I did more research on filing prose. I don’t have any property and not any other assets other than my personal belongings. This was the route for me!

I filed in April 2014 and was discharged in August 2014. My credit score before filing bankruptcy was 437. The day my bankruptcy was discharged my score was 450.The week my bankruptcy was discharged I secured a car loan for 20k with 18% financing (I will be re-financing soon). A month later my score was 487! After that I didn’t get any new credit until December 2014 by this time my credit score was 560! I applied for a First Premier Credit Card and was approved!! $500 limit I only keep a 20% balance on the card. Checked my score last night, 592! I decided to apply for a Capital One card, APPROVED! Only 6 months later and I must say this is the best decision I have made in my adult life so far. I now know what I need to do to build and maintain my credit! My goal is to buy a home in 2016 and so far I am on the right track!

Filed BK7: 4/2014
341 Meeting 6/2014

Discharged 8/2014
Starting Fico Score (Before BK): 437
Fico Score (After BK Filing): 450
Current Fico Score: 592 (as of 1/27/2015)
Goal: 700 and a HOMEOWNER!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Re: After Chapter 7 - There is a LIGHT!

Looks like we have similar circumstances.  A lot of it sounds familiar.  I had other debts too, like hospital bills and student loans and old collection accounts that added up because I would be unable to pay bills due to, to put it bluntly, an unstable income.  From 2004-2013 there were months I didn't know if I was going to have a roof over my head.  I was actually homeless in Austin for a day.. I had moved there from Phoenix to try to start a better life.  I thought things would have been different, got a really nice job offer.. but the job ended up only lasting a month.  My seemingly good success turned around and at that point, I had hit rock bottom.    My bailout from that situation was a 28 hour train ride to Chicago, and my car was basically trucked there and then I let the bank repo it. because I couldn't keep up with their 25% interest rate.  It was the best thing to do.  

Bankruptcy allowed me to help me get a clean slate.  With a stable income now since May 2013 and even a reserve amount of savings, I am starting over.  I don't really have anything to my name in terms of property, so it pretty much is a new start. 

My BK journey started taking a productive route in around September of 2013.  I have visited a local attorney, he wanted $3000 for me to file BK 7 in the Chicago area.  Money I definitely did not have.  I started the process anyway, taking the debt courses online and getting the certificates.  I then contacted our locar bar association and got assistance from another attorney in March of 2014.   All I had to pay was the ~$400 (not quite that much) in filing fees and then about a week later, in the beginning of April 2014, my petition was filed.  The 341 meeting was the most interesting thing I have ever been to in my life, as far as going to a court.   I arrived 30min-1hour early, nervous about the whole idea.  I had heard that it was a rough thing to go through.  I think maybe if I had property, a larger income and maybe a collateral like houses, cars and boats still, it would have been a nightmare.   Instead, it took all about 5 minutes of questions and that was it.  I was shocked.  Two months later, in the beginning of July, my debt was discharged.  I waited a month before I applied for credit.   I started out with a Credit One card and, two weeks later I contacted my CU and asked about credit builder loans.. instead they said their product was a secured Visa so I went with that.  In place of the secured loan, I have a secured Visa card.. joy right?   

Today I decided to open another credit account, but this resulted in no inquiries and come to find out, I should have increased the length of the loan.  It's something called Self Lender.  I'm surprised more people here aren't buzzing about it.  I have seen one mention of it (I'm sure there are more, if I was actively searching for the term) but learned of Self Lender through a post in the "From BK to 700 in 24 months" thread.

It's going to be a long journey, and I wish you the best of luck.. and thank you for sharing your story with us as well!

Message 2 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

Awesome job and congrats on your progress so far! It might be worth giving Capital One another shot to get a 3rd revolver in your portfolio. Get the 3rd revolver and lower the util to 9% on one card and you will see your score shoot up Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats to you @Freshstart30 you make me feel hopeful! I was just discharged from a Ch 7 and I am more than ready to start rebuilding. I do customer service for a credit card company, who woud never probably approve me for a card by the way lol. But, it's so inspiring to talk to people with high CLs good credit, and see there is another side of life when you have good credit. I plan to start applying for cards once my CRs are in order. Thanks for giving me hope!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your progress. 

While Chapter 7 has such a bad rep among the general public, it is refreshing to have a new start. I discharged about $50k in bankruptcy. I did some calculations about it. At the prevailing interest rate on that debt, I would have had to pay $1500 per month for over 4 years to get out of that debt! 4 years is forever.

After years of scraping by, accessing my retirement just to pay debt, and living paycheck to paycheck, I finally see the light. Well, almost. My next paycheck will be the first without a huge weight on my shoulders and no immediate expenses, and it feels great.

Message 5 of 8
Snookie517
Established Member

Hi everyone , i dont post often but i read often and take in everything u all have to offer ..... i have had quite the roller coaster of credit my whole adult life, i will try and explain as brief as i can ....... Im 42 , was with my ex husband since i was 21 until about 3 years ago ...... he had and still has terrible credit , was and still is terrible with money and it dragged me down for many many years ...... i had several baddies , some of which still have not dropped off just yet , because of my situation .  I was able to rebuild my credit all on my own when we split through 2013 and 2014 on HALF the money , pay all my bills on time , and THEN .... it happened , right when i had about 5 or 6 good accounts for almost a year i was forced to file chapter 7 out of the blue because one of the baddies from 2008 tried to put levy on my bank account .   fortunately i was protected from them taking any money because my two disabled children have ssi which is linked to it so that saved me from that at least , but none the less i had to file .  Destroyed all my hard work.   Well now since discharge last February i have gone on a monster spree of credit , yes i know , i should have restrained more but this was the first time in my adult life i was able to qualify for so much credit  and i went a little nuts,  i fully aknowledge , so whats done is done lol , but here are my current questions ...... i now have these 10 new accounts all in the past year , with really kinda low scores and a bk so i must say im surprised, esp by the Barclays ???? but anyway getting back on track ..... i have learned i MUST garden and now i want to know what y'all think about me keeping all these accounts ?  im afraid to close any becasue my AAOA is like less than a year now.   Every one of my payments are on time and higher than the minimum  ...... i also have an installement loan which will start reporting in feb . on a side note ....... The card i have the least need for is the 250.00 jcrew , which is also my lowest limit , but im like do i just let it sit now ?   I seek your wisdom ...... thank you in advance .   with utilization i have 8800 in limits and im right now on the books for right under 2 k i believe ..... and in like 5 months my merrick will double its limit as well 

Filed 10/2013 Discharged Ch 7 2/2014 and on my way with an itchy finger !

Capital One secured $500 ( started at $250 then they gave CLI ) , Capital One Quicksilver $2750 ( started at $500 ) , Credit One Platinum $950 ( started at $500) , Target $1000 ( started at $ 300 ) , JCrew $500 (started at $250) , Fingerhut $ 2600 ( started at $ 500 ) Kohl's/Capone $300, BarclayRewards $1000 ( started at $250), Barclay Apple$2400( started at $1500), Merrick Bank $1400 ( started at $700) ,Barclays William Sonoma $5000, PayPal credit $750, Nordstrom $500, Walmart $800, Amazon store card $750, QVC $500, HSN $750, Overstock $250, Tidewater $3000
EXP : 638 EQU : 626 TU: 633

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 590
Goal Score: 660

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

if you just got approved for capone cancel the fp

use the money you are not paying them in monthly fees to open a secure card is you need it

i went from chapter 7 to prime cards in 3 years and you can do the same

last night as a matter a fact i was approved for arrival plus wemc

have faith and give it time, never charge more than you can pay in full!!!!!!!

Message 7 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

if you just got approved for capone cancel the fp

use the money you are not paying them in monthly fees to open a secure card is you need it

i went from chapter 7 to prime cards in 3 years and you can do the same

last night as a matter a fact i was approved for arrival plus wemc

have faith and give it time, never charge more than you can pay in full!!!!!!!

Congrats on the Arrival! I think its my favorite card Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.