cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After chapter 7. Can I dispute late payments on discharged accts?

tag
yogibear

After chapter 7. Can I dispute late payments on discharged accts?

Hello,

Im new to this so please help me.

I filed for Chapt 7, I got discharged. Before I filed for Chapter 7 I stopped paying for credit cards and it shows as late payment on credit report. Since these credit cards got discharged can I dispute the late payment or erase them somehow from my credit repot?

Thank you for your help

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: After chapter 7. Can I dispute late payments on discharged accts?

Hi yogibear,

Welcome!

If your lates are accurate, they are reporting properly.  Accounts cannot report that a late occurred on a date after the BK filing date.  Even after the BK filing and BK discharge, they can report lates that occurred on a date prior to the BK filing date.

The accounts, though, should read $0 balance, $0 due, and they would accurately report as IIB (Included in Bankruptcy - which is a negative factor for that account).

While you're rebuilding, you're wise to check your CR's for inaccuracies.  Any negatives that are reporting correctly, though, leave alone.

Now that you have a fresh start, there are things you can do to rebuild your credit, though.  Have you considered pulling a credit report and FICO score here?  The reason I ask is because you'll get a great report along with your FICO score.  It's specific to your credit report and helps you know what things are hurting your score and what can help your score as you move forward.

There's a lot of helpful folks here who have been through a BK, so you'll get lots of support and helpful info here.

Message 2 of 3
Marvelousone
New Contributor

Re: After chapter 7. Can I dispute late payments on discharged accts?

Hello,

I too have 4 red  flag lates in my CR but still have 702 and 708 scores through Equifax and Trans Union.  The 60 days or worse came from the time I filed for BK (2 years ago) because of a failed business and short sale of my house.  I am not sure how to handle this do you think disputing will help me or just live with it?  I am going to need a car in the next 6 months.   Prior to the BK  I had perfect credit in the 780's for over 20 years. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.