cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost 5 years later... not sure where to go from here to keep moving forward

tag

Almost 5 years later... not sure where to go from here to keep moving forward

Well, I've been in the rebuilding process since 2008 after filing BK December 2007, but I didn't get "actively" involved in it until around April 2011.  I've disputed some items and successfully had some items removed from TU and EQ, but not EX.  In April 2011 my scores were TU 618, EQ 615, EX 625 (this was using truecredit.com), as of February 2012 (using truecredit.com) TU 654, EQ 643, EX 659, and as of June 2012 (using myFico.com) TU 646, EQ 623.  I feel like I'm stuck where I'm at.  I know that some things just take time, esp after BK, but are there still other actions I can take while I'm waiting for some items to drop off my CBR's?  I've outlined the negative marks below along with some questions, and really hope I can get some feedback and advice.  

LA = last activity, **ERD = estimated removal date

Baddies:

• Capital One, paid or paying as agreed (open acct), 30 days late 1 time (Dec 2010-DH started new job - threw off finances for a month mid Dec 2010 - mid Jan 2011), EX has marked as going to a positive status 9/2017
  • First Premier Bank, paid or paying as agreed (closed acct, PIF), 30 days late 1 time (Jan 2011-same reason as above)
  • Bank of America; LA TU 7/2007, EQ 12/2006; included in BK; ERD TU 11/2013, EX 12/2013
  • WFNNB A&F; LA TU 2/2007, EQ 1/2007; TU included in BK, EQ transferred or sold acct, EX included in BK, purchased by another lender; ERD TU 12/2013, EX none listed - why?!
  • Chase Bank; LA TU 2/2007, EQ 3/2007; included in BK; ERD TU 2/2014, EX 4/2014
  • GE Paypal; LA TU 2/2007, EQ 3/2007; TU included in BK, EQ transferred or sold acct, charged off, EX purchased by another lender; ERD TU 2/2014, EX none listed - why?!
  • HSBC Bank; LA TU 2/2007, EQ 3/2007; TU EQ charge off, acct transferred or sold, EX purchased by another lender; ERD: TU 2/2014, EX none listed - why?!
  • HSBC Best Buy; LA TU 10/2007, EQ 3/2007; TU EQ charge off, acct transferred or sold, EX purchased by another lender; ERD TU 2/2014, EX none listed - why?!
  • WFNNB VS; LA TU 7/2007, EQ 6/2007; TU included in BK, EQ transferred or sold acct, EX included in BK, purchased by another lender; ERD TU 5/2014, EX none listed - why?!
  • GE Wal-Mart; LA TU 6/2007, EQ 7/2007; included in BK; ERD TU 6/2014, EX 9/2014
  • Capital One Bank; LA TU 7/2007, EQ 8/2007; included in BK; ERD TU 7/2014, EX none listed - why?!
  • GE Dillards; LA TU 6/2007, EQ 8/2007; included in BK; ERD TU 7/2014, EX 10/2014
  • GE JCPenney; LA TU 7/2007, EQ 8/2007; included in BK; ERD TU 7/2014, 10/2014
  • EX ONLY - Action Revenue Recovery - medical collection - Dec. 2010 ERD was 7/2014 & I disputed b/c I had PIF, as of Feb 2012, no ERD, still remains on CBR - how do I get it removed if I paid it??
  • Ch 7 BK 12/07, ERD 11/2017 - I know this is just a waiting game before I see it fall off

All of the red TLs are pre BK and should have been included in BK. Why aren't they all marked as included in BK?  I haven't disputed it b/c I know the negative impact BK has on the FICO, but I'm not sure if including it would help or hurt... BUT most of the one's marked as transferred do not list an ERD for EX... *SMH-very confused*

I do have other open revolving accounts that are in good standing since the BK as outlined below - both TU and EQ show the same negative indicator, balance, etc.  (I removed the baddies since I listed them above - I imagine some of these will fall off soon too that were before the BK, just not sure when).  There will also be more student loans added as necessary until I complete my degree.

Date opened Balance Status Negative Indicator?

Charge AccountEquitable Acceptance Cor 9/2010$1,068Paid or paying as agreedNoAfter BK
Charge AccountMetabank/Fingerhut 11/2011$290Paid or paying as agreedNoAfter BK

Charge AccountGecrb/Casual Corner 6/2005$0Paid or paying as agreedNoPre BK
Charge AccountGordon's/Cbna 6/2005$0Paid or paying as agreedNoPre BK
Charge AccountWfnnb/Maurices 3/2003$0Paid or paying as agreedNoPre BK

Credit CardCommonwealth Marketing G 10/2006$0Paid or paying as agreedNoPre BK
Credit CardFirst Premier Bank 5/2008$0Paid or paying as agreedNoAfter BK
Credit CardUltra Vx / New Millenniu 9/2008$0Paid or paying as agreedNoAfter BK
Credit CardBank Of America 6/2005$0Paid or paying as agreedNoPre BK

Student/Education LoanDept Of Ed / Nelnet 9/2011$6,000Paid or paying as agreedNoAfter BK student loan
Student/Education LoanDept Of Ed / Nelnet 9/2011$4,500Paid or paying as agreedNoAfter BK student loan
Student/Education LoanEdfinancial 3/2007$0Paid or paying as agreedNoPre BK student loan
Vehicle LoanCapital One Auto Finance 10/2011$26,873Paid or paying as agreedNoAfter BK

My goal is to have a middle FICO of at least 700 by mid 2014 to buy or build a house - this is the year DD starts kindergarten and I'll have one semester of college left before I have my Bachelor's!  According to the budget (which is always changing) all revolving credit card debt opened after BK will be PIF, will have started paying early on student loans, and hope to have refinanced auto loan to reduce the interest rate/lower pymts (but will keep making the same pymt as before to pay off sooner)!  Goal is to have only 35% debt-to-income ratio.  IS THIS REALISTIC? Any suggestions on how I can keep improving and insight into how the AAoA will change and affect my scores as the TLs fall off?

Thanks in advance.  I posted this in the rebuilding section the beginning of the week and though many have viewed it, NO ONE HAS REPLIED...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: Almost 5 years later... not sure where to go from here to keep moving forward

I don't know why your goal would be to have a 35% DTI, I like to see a goal of 0% DTI!

Regardless.  When you pulled your scores, what were your balances?  The only way to see your current maximum score is to get all TLs but one reporting Zero, and one TL reporting <9% of your total availible credit then pull from myFICO.

My biggest concern would be the lates (and Collection Account) after your BK.  Those are killer.  They show lenders that you didn't learn your lesson in BK, and that you're still using credit to buy things you can't truely afford.  No underwriter likes that, and the reason doesn't matter.  Their thought is, "if you had a proper emergency fund in place, you wouldn't have been late."  Can't say I blame them.

My guess is that if you didn't have those, you'd already be @ or near 700.  They're killing you.  

Does the Medical Collection show that it's paid?  I'd send EX a copy of the cashed check and PIF letter you got from the CA if it isn't.  Possibly with an MOV letter.

I'd also try and goodwill off the lates on C1 and 1st Premier.

Accounts that were charged off or transferred before the BK was discharged don't have to report as IIB, that's a timing thing, but they aren't what's killing you.  You need perfect payment history after a BK or you're sunk.

Good luck,

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 2 of 3

Re: Almost 5 years later... not sure where to go from here to keep moving forward

I just thought 35% sounded like the first tier, but as I'm reading and gaining knowledge through this forum, I'd agree that 0% is ultimately my goal since I'm not using CC  unless I already have the cash to pay it off.

All of my balances are $0 except for Equitable Acceptance (Rainbow) $1068 ($2016 limit) - I'm not sure of the correct term for this acct, but it reports as revolving.  I've pd on this like an installment plan to build my acct history so that as the pre BK TLs drop off I've still got a good AAoA - should I not be doing this? Metabank is $290 ($550 limit).  Capital One is $276 ($300).  Balances report high on Cap One b/c DH uses it monthly while he's on the rd then we pay it monthly.  Regardless, I had planned to pay each to <10% by Sept/Oct, but from what I gather from your post, I should really pay off two accts and have one at <9% of CL (or total of all CLs?)

The collection was IIB that I tried to PFD afterwards so it is PIF.  CA didn't delete it and it's only reporting to EXP.

The two lates happened during DH job change the end of 2010.  I called both and informed them the circumstances and set up pymt to be auto drafted from our checking acct on the date his first check was deposited.  I was told they wouldn't report as late, yet there they are.  We didn't have much of an emergency fund, and what we did have we used for grocery and other living expenses while he transitioned.  He's had a rough employment history since just after we got married... laid off a high income job ($18+/hr) while I was 5 months pregnant with our first child -- could  have been much worse since I was able to keep financially sound while he was unemployed and managed to pay the hospital bills involved in the delivery of DD.  Every time I get "a proper emergency fund" saved, we find ourselves in an emergency - an appliance goes out, our house floods (this actually did just happen February 28! Circumstances there really stink b/c we aren't renters, but don't own the house either.  It's DH's grandmother's house that we are taking care of since she is in a nursing home, so we handled this OOP and insurance didn't cover it!) we had a surprise pregnancy too back right before he transitioned jobs in 2010, so yet another emergency fund I was rebuilding had to go to the unexpected. - Yes we know that last could have been prevented, and we were taking precautions, and those precautions failed... Not to make excuses or anything, just explaining the situation.

Since the medical collection already shows paid and IIB, what, if anything can I do to get it off?

I'll try the GW letters to get C1 & 1stP to change them.  1stP is closed due to the fees they were charging (outrageous!), does that affect my efforts on GW?  Should I offer to come back as a customer to get it removed?

Thanks for your comments and advice!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.