Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express after Bankruptcy???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express after Bankruptcy???

Hi all I filed BK in 04
Since then I have bought a house and have not been late.
I have high balances on cards but anticpate having them all paid for by the end of March
When I filed I included my amex. Now I want another one. Currently my scores are 609, 601, 598 with the high ballances.

The question is will amex give me another card after I filed BK on them???
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express after Bankruptcy???

I don't think so. I filed in 05' and our scores are pretty similar & they turned me down (although...I don't have a mortgage helping me out). Plus, you included them in your bankruptcy so I think they'd be a lot less likely to give you credit for a while. If you can get those scores up and pay down some debt your chances will definitely increase. You are more than welcome to work out a deal with them to pay them back, even if they were included. That would definitely get you back in their good graces.
Message 2 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, AmEx is not BK friendly. At some point however, you may want to contact them and inquire about their Oasis program...this program/card is designed for folks who defaulted (not sure about an AmEx account IIB) with them.
Message 3 of 12
octavia
Regular Contributor

I had Amex IIBK 7 back in 1995.  Do you think I can get one now?

Does it matter that, since the BK7 in 1995, I have filed BK13 in 2004 and was discharged in 2005? What are my chances of getting another Amex? My fico scores are in my sig.

Octavia.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Octavia:  Those are pretty good scores only 2.5 years out of a bk........do you have any other baddies other than the public record?
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called them today. I offered to pay back the dischared debt if they would reopen the account. They said no.

I think I will wait a for a few years and then try.

Oh well.
Message 6 of 12
octavia
Regular Contributor

Boscoe,

Currrently, I have the following:

Experian and TransUnion:
BK13 filed 2002 dismissed
BK13 filed 2004 discharged 2005

Equifax:
BK13 filed 2000 dismissed (they don't drop in 7 years, but EX & TU dropped, go figure)
BK13 filed 2002 dismissed
BK13 filed 2004 discharged 2005

I have a couple of CCs that were IIB (no lates).  Ive had a mortgage loan since '97 (transfers/paid/closed).  I have about 3 CCs that are "closed/paid as agreed" on EX that's why it's higher than EQ and TU.  EQ is not budging on removing the 2000 BK13 (disputed as too old and rep said they report for 10 years).

I have 3 ccs since 2003 never late, current mortgage never late (I had a 30 day late in 2005 with a previous mtg co., disputed as "never late" they removed the late from my report).

Octavia.

Octavia.
Message 7 of 12
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

i thought amex blacklist which mean if you ever filed bk on them you can't have them again, i'm pretty sure i read that here somewhere but can't find the msg...
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Octavia.

-So you have the bk's all still on there...at least one for each CRA.
-a couple of IIB cc's
-no lates
-perfect history since you filed in 2004.

Your scores look about right.  EX is great at 715, the others a little lower.

Just wondering.  I was discharged from my 7 last October and was wondering when I get to 700.  I too have a couple of IIB cc's, but also have a couple of mtg loan baddies that were 120 days late when I filed.  But, all that is behind me.  I will still attempt to get them deleted, but if not, perfect credit since 7/07, so by 2010 I hope to be nearing 700.
Message 9 of 12
Draco007
New Contributor

Not likely.  I even tried with a cosigner who has an 780 FICO and 3 different AMEX cards.  They said no due to my BK.

You just need to wait it out for this one.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.