Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express and Discover after bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express and Discover after bankruptcy

I took a chance and applied after reading this article. I was approved, surprisingly. It really feels like a victory as I hit AMEX pretty hard in the BK from 2008.

Thanks for this thread! One more year till the chapter7 falls off the report.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Super Congratulations!!

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Mike
Message 14 of 27
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I took a chance and applied after reading this article. I was approved, surprisingly. It really feels like a victory as I hit AMEX pretty hard in the BK from 2008.

Thanks for this thread! One more year till the chapter7 falls off the report.

Welcome to myFICO and congrats!!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the same thing as well.  My Bankruptcy was discharged April 2012.  I had applied to Amex a couple of times before (2015 & 2016) and got denied, but something told me to google if anybody was getting approved with a bankruptcy on their CR.  So I applied and got approved for $11.7k on the blue cash.

Message 16 of 27
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Congraulations on getting in the American Express and Discover.

My bankruptcy was discharged in Feb 2012 and I got approved for an Amex in Dec 2017.  It started with 2000 and it's now 3900.  

To me it's the sign I have recovered from my bankruptcy.

Guyatthebeach

Message 17 of 27
mavric
New Contributor

Congratulations Smiley HappySmiley Happy

DW and I both got back in with AMX  2 months after discharged 3/1/17  ,  Ch 13 ,so 5 years and 2 months. 

Just remenber American Express WILL NOT give out any credit line increases Until  your BK is gone from your credit report. Man MadMan Frustrated

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express put a wrongful 30-day late on my Experian credit report two months before I applied and was approved for the Delta Skymiles Platinum (and it was still there when I applied).

For those who might say AMEX didn't do a softpull with that information, it was indicated on my latest AMEX SP too, so it would have affected the approval. 

Bankruptcies are obviously worse for a credit report, but I was amazed that they'd approve me for a new card with such a fresh 30-day late on my report, and from them of all lenders. On a positive note, the 30-day was removed a week or two ago. 

Message 19 of 27
rottiesworld

Congrats on your new Cards. I have a bankruptcy which will be 8 years old in April. I did a pre quilify and it said that i would be able to get the everyday blue American Express card. I went ahead and applied but was scared as so many people said that you can't get one with a bankruptcy on your credit report,but it said that i could, so I figured what the hell and applied. I have a 700 credit score, and I was surprised and was approved with a $1,000.00 credit limit. I was not happy with the credit limit but at least i'm in the door and got my first card.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.