Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And so it begins

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

And so it begins

I've been lurking since 2008 due to knowing if anything catastrophic happened I would have to file. Well, something did happen and after exhausting all methods to starve off filing a chapter 13, I lost. After a failed modification, borrowing from family and 401k alike, I ended up filing the day before my foreclosure sale. I will say, compared to 2008, I am OK with the decision, and even though you hear the horror stories of not being able to get a job and 5 years of budget constraints, I am optimistic. I have found comfort in knowing my house will be saved, but am scared to death of the 1700 a month proposed plan. I know that this will have to change as I made over 100k last year but doubt I will repeat the same feat. So to kind of sum it up - I'm nervous, scared, and optimistic. I will keep you abreast with my process/progress in hopes that anyone else currently or after I am done in 5 years will know what to expect. Today - I don't .

Question - has anyone obtained a second job during the 13, if so, did you report it, did it change your payment amount?   

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: And so it begins

You are supposed to notify your attorney of changes in jobs and incomes. Wether it matters or not depends on your trustee. They can be at both ends of the spectrum. I was in the eastern district of NC and that has to be one of the best areas to file in. The trustee wants filers to succeed and doesn't go after tax returns or increased income. You should talk to your attorney and find out about the tendencies of your trustee to have an idea of how additional income will affect your plan. Good luck.

Message 2 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

I will say it and I will say it again, my attorney advised me to file chapter 7.  You did pay your back and that is good.  I just don't feel you should be downing one over what they have filed or talking bad about whether they filed 7 or 13.  Could you have paid all your creditors without filing 13 on your own?  I'm just saying.  Bankruptcy is not a easy choice and should not be taken lightly.  I was being sued left and right from creditors and making a 25.00 payment was not going to cut it.  At one point my banking account had be frozen from the courts.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 7
CWESTL
Regular Contributor

I am sssooooooo tired of reading the opinionated rants of those disgruntled with having filed Chapter 13 while limenting the progress of those that filed Chapter 7. Please provide some constructive feedback.  

Chapter 7 Discharge Aug 2013 (Removed 2022 & 2023)
Jan 2024 EQ FICO 8 840
Jan 2024 TU FICO 8 779
Jan 2024 EX FICO 8 788
Jan 2024 EQ FICO 9 824 AMEX Cash Magnet $26K; AMEX Platinum NPSL, POT $27.5K; Cap One QS World MC $11k; Cap One Venture Sign VS $30k; Chase Sapphire Pref $18K; Citi Simplicity $7K; NFCU AMEX Rwds $28k; NFCU VS Sign Cash Rwds $24.1k; NFCU Plat VS $19k; Wells Fargo Reflect $25K; Mercury (previously Barclay Rwds MC) $5750k; Lowes $35k; Neiman Marcus $44k; Discover It $11.5k; Discover It $19.5K; Venmo Visa Sign $20K; Barclaycard (AU) $25.5K; Discover (AU) $19.5k New Mortgage Jan 2016 & Nonreaffirmed Mortgage Refinance Nov 2020; HELOC @ 2.75% Apr 2022; New Auto July 2017; NFCU LOC $20K
GOAL 820 FICOs on ALL 3 CRs by JANUARY 2025.
AMEX Lowes Business $25K
AMEX Business LOC $25K
Chase Ink Business Unlimited $26.5K; US Bank Business Platinum $10K
Message 4 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been lurking since 2008 due to knowing if anything catastrophic happened I would have to file. Well, something did happen and after exhausting all methods to starve off filing a chapter 13, I lost. After a failed modification, borrowing from family and 401k alike, I ended up filing the day before my foreclosure sale. I will say, compared to 2008, I am OK with the decision, and even though you hear the horror stories of not being able to get a job and 5 years of budget constraints, I am optimistic. I have found comfort in knowing my house will be saved, but am scared to death of the 1700 a month proposed plan. I know that this will have to change as I made over 100k last year but doubt I will repeat the same feat. So to kind of sum it up - I'm nervous, scared, and optimistic. I will keep you abreast with my process/progress in hopes that anyone else currently or after I am done in 5 years will know what to expect. Today - I don't .

Question - has anyone obtained a second job during the 13, if so, did you report it, did it change your payment amount?   

Welcome to myFICO! You have found the perfect place to help you out in your rebuilding journey. Keep your head up and make a plan to follow. It was a hard decision for all of us to make. It only gets better from here! 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Now let's get back on topic.

Message 6 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Now let's get back on topic.

Yes let's do that.  

OP feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions about your Ch 13.

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.