Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience in my shoes?

tag
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

Any experience in my shoes?

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place--I looked for a similar thread and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.  How soon out of BK (or before discharge) did you apply for your first card?  What card was it, what was your limit, and if you know your score at the time, please share.  I'm thinking of app'ing for Cap One or Barclays Apple as soon as I receive my discharge.  I'm tired of waiting for my discharge (it's been two months already!) and I really have the itch to app and build!  I did the Cap one prequal about a month ago and it gave me the choice of the platinum card, the classic platinum or the cash rewards card.  I'm just wondering if app'ing now without my discharge will hurt my approval or the limit I receive.  Don't want to jeopardize my standing since I've read they don't give too many CLI's.  Also, are they sensitive about inq's?  I have several from auto shopping late last year that are still affecting my score.

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Sha80
New Contributor

Re: Any experience in my shoes?

I've been there and done that. I applied at Barclay and Cap 1 prior to my discharge and basically wasted 2 hard inquiries. Neither will accept your application before. Now I did have 30 days to request a recon but it took 42 days before PACER displayed my discharge. I did apply at Cap 1 ten days later. I was approved for the platinumweigh a $1000 limit. My score before the app I'm unsure but following I was at 605.

Starting Score: EQ: 605 (10/21/2012) Trans/Walmart: 641(10/26/2012)
Current Score: EQ: 678 (4/9/13) Trans/Walmart: 693 (5/13/13) EX: 648 (4/10/13) Lender pull

Message 2 of 6
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

Thanks for saving me, Sha80. I've been wondering what would happen, since the prequal. Given all the time the court is taking, I won't bother to risk an inq.
NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Message 3 of 6
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on finishing your bankruptcy.  Hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I did apply and was approved for a Barclay's Apple Card and Barnes&Noble Mastercard. So far I have not had any problems with them and hopefully won't.  One thing I have heard about them is that they are very application/inquiry sensitive. By that I mean, I have read that they will close your account if you have inquiries for new credit after opening the account. From what I have read if there are inquiries for new credit during the first year at Barclay's, they may close your account. This has not happened to me but I have read about it on other blogs.

Now I did notice that Barclays only ran a hard hit on TransUnion, but since I have since a soft hit from them since having the cards. Also they have been very good to me with their customer service since I opened the accounts.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 6
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Congratulations on finishing your bankruptcy.  Hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I did apply and was approved for a Barclay's Apple Card and Barnes&Noble Mastercard. So far I have not had any problems with them and hopefully won't.  One thing I have heard about them is that they are very application/inquiry sensitive. By that I mean, I have read that they will close your account if you have inquiries for new credit after opening the account. From what I have read if there are inquiries for new credit during the first year at Barclay's, they may close your account. This has not happened to me but I have read about it on other blogs.

Now I did notice that Barclays only ran a hard hit on TransUnion, but since I have since a soft hit from them since having the cards. Also they have been very good to me with their customer service since I opened the accounts.

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't see a use for the Barnes & Noble card for myself but I do know they have a Priceline version that would be helpful for me.  I couldn't decide whether I wanted that or the Apple version more.  Did you app for both Barclays cards at the same time?

Message 5 of 6
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Actually, I only applied once when I went for the Apple Visa Card. I didn't realize Barclay's offered the Barnes and Noble card until I went online to activate my Visa.  I called the number on the card and spoke with credit. They simply took $500 from the Apple Card to fund the Barnes and Noble card. I only use the B&N for my Nook purchases and my occasional purchase at the store.

I like the customer service so far, but I am very curious to see what they do with my credit if I apply for another credit card. I have read that Barclay's will reduce credit or close accounts if you apply for new CC's or go app crazy within the first 6 months to the first year.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.