cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone burn Verizon in BK and then open another account after discharge?

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Anyone burn Verizon in BK and then open another account after discharge?

I included an account with Verizon from 2004 in my BK that discharged in Aug of 2013, my husband never had an account with them. I really want to switch back to them but I am afraid of the hard pull on my credit if I will just be declined. My hubby could use his name but he and I did the BK together so he would have a BK on his credit too. Does anyone have experience with Verizon after BK? Was there a deposit? Has anyone burned them in BK and still get a new account?

Our current scores are low-mid 600's on all CB's and we have had perfect payments since the BK, with less than 10% util. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Anyone burn Verizon in BK and then open another account after discharge?

Yes . I included an unpaid landline and cell phone in my filing, that had long since turned to zombie debt. I have a cell phone with them now and I had a landline phone (which unfortunately turned into a collection that has since been paid) after the bankruptcy.

Congrats. I have not had a perfect payment history since my BK. There was the one collection that unfortunately is going to stay on my CR, but is paid, so at least it's paid.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 2 of 7
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

I hate using the word, "burned" but I had to fit it on the subject line. I defaulted on my account 5 years ago and included them in my BK so I was concerned that they would require a deposit for a cell phone. I went online this weekend and signed up, choosing the free iPhone 4S and I chose a plan. I went throught the process and was expecting either a complete denial or at least a deposit. To my surprise, I woke up this morning (Monday) and checked my email, there was shpping notification and a tracking number inside so it looks like I things are a go. :-) 

Interestingly, every company that has extended credit to me since the discharge of my BK has been a company that I IIB. Cap One, Barclay's, Walmart, Amazon, all of them! 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 3 of 7

Honestly, I'm hoping for a Discover, but did unfortunately include them in my BK. I'm hoping to get my scores up around the 750 range in about six months then try for a Discover again. From what the woman I spoke with when I tried to recon told me, I just need a little more time and good payment history.

Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 4 of 7
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

My sister works for Discover Card and is currently dating a guy who works in the department that does recons. She said that if I wait 2 years from discharge and have good credit afterwards, I will have a really good chance of qualifying for a Discover Card. It is possible to get them again after you have IIB. Good luck with that. 

:-) 

Message 5 of 7

I thought I would content myself with a fake Discover for now and it totally backfired. I applied for the True Value Discover and ended up with the store credit card. Ugh.

Message 6 of 7
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Seems to me Verizon has pretty easy UW requirements.  I opened a new account with Verizon the day after my BK7 discharged, had a collection to VZW for around $800 IIB, no problems, no deposits. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.