Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have any ideas?

tag
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Anyone have any ideas?

Okay, I guess I need some encouragement right now.  Today was a bad day.  The job I had for 2 years ended today and while I still have a meager income, I lost a good portion of it.  I work from home due to medical reasons / disability.

I am not sure how to stay afloat with this.   Anyone have any ideas on how I can stay afloat with a loss of income like this?  This is really testing me, I haven't had this happen since before I filed for bankruptcy.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone have any ideas?

I don't really know what to tell you, I have no idea, but I do want to tell you that I'm really sorry you lost your job. Hang in there, you are not the first or last person who goes through something like this, be strong and try to stay optimistic.

Just encouragement is all I can send your way now.
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this!! I'm not sure what to do to bridge the gap of loss of income. Do you qualify for unemployment benefits maybe?
Message 3 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

So sorry to hear you lost a job.. I would look for any "at home" type gigs that could make you some extra money. I do want to be that positive voice that tells you not to rely on all the new pretty cards you have obtained, no matter how hard it is!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taoron wrote:

Okay, I guess I need some encouragement right now.  Today was a bad day.  The job I had for 2 years ended today and while I still have a meager income, I lost a good portion of it.  I work from home due to medical reasons / disability.

I am not sure how to stay afloat with this.   Anyone have any ideas on how I can stay afloat with a loss of income like this?  This is really testing me, I haven't had this happen since before I filed for bankruptcy.

Very sorry to hear of your troubles.

The only thing I can suggest is that you make cuts where you can.

Maybe with your medical issues you can qualify for some help until you can get back on your feet. Look into some progams that offer assistance for your situation.

Best of luck to you!

Stay encouraged!!!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear.. If you don't mind me asking, what is your line of work?

Message 6 of 9
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear.. If you don't mind me asking, what is your line of work?

It's okay.  I was really freaked out about losing 1/2 my income, since I used that half to pay bills.   I was working as a Linux System Administrator for a company managing 160+ servers.  It was a good thing going.

I am limited on where I can work (ie at home) due to my disability and also I don't have a car to drive anywhere to work, and I live in a small town that is a good 30 minutes from the biggest city.

It makes me feel lost, but I'm trying to work through it.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.

I know you know this already, but get that resume updated. Get on every job board and make sure they have the updated copy - there are a lot of really good IT sites. Make sure your settings are updated based on your current skills and licenses. Apply like crazy to jobs at above, at or below your skill level. I can't tell you how many times I was passed over for the job I applied for but was called for something else. You'll have to weed through the junk emails and calls but you have a great skillset that employers are looking for.
Message 8 of 9
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

I am happy to say that crisis was averted.  I got a job offer Friday and pending successful completion of background check and drug test, which I won't have any problem with either, I start soon.  I am really relieved that it worked out like this.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.