cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have experience with OpenSky after BK7?

tag
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Anyone have experience with OpenSky after BK7?

So I had a secured open sky before I filed BK7.  It was a small 200 secured card.  I never did anything with it and filed BK7 in June.  Recently I was discharged and out fo the blue I got an email from Opensky that my statement was ready.  I was like huh?

So I login and it shows my account is good with 200 avaialble and 0 balance.  I thought everything is closed in BK 7?  How did this card make it through?

Im going to close it if its hurting me, but not sure if it is or not?

Starting FICO8 June 2017: EQ: 514 - EX: 491 - TU: 521 Pre-BK7
Current
FICO8 March 2023: EQ: 703 - EX- 680 - TU: 671
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with OpenSky after BK7?

I think cards with a 0 balance are not included in BK. Plus it was a secured card so that is a little different as well. Heck I'd keep it since it is your oldest revolver. maybe put more in it to increase the limit until your revbuild is complete. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 10
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Its confusing because I just looked on my credit report and its showing as IIB.  Yet when I login to their site, etc its showing open with the credit limit still the same.  No idea what to think.

Current
Message 3 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@C_DUBYA wrote:

Its confusing because I just looked on my credit report and its showing as IIB.  Yet when I login to their site, etc its showing open with the credit limit still the same.  No idea what to think.

Try making a small purchase with the card and see if it's approved, then you'll know it's good to know.

I had my PayPal Credit from Comenity Bank survive my 2010 BK7. It had a $0 balance some time before filing, my attorney used my credit report to list all my debt and since it was $0 balance & PayPal Credit doesn't report to any CRA he didn't see it & didn't list it. I'd forgotten about it and then 6 months or so after discharge I was cleaning up my banking bookmarks and saw it and tried logging in. It showed $2k in available credit so I tried a small purchase and it went through, so then I started using it again. I still have it.

Message 4 of 10
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Interesting.  Unfortunately I cut up the card and through it out after the BK7.  I will have to call and order a new card. While Im at it I may as well verify the cards existence or not. 

Thanks

Current
Message 5 of 10
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

I called Opensky and they confirmed the account shows done with a 0 balance.  And IIB.  Not sure why I got statement emails or why its reporting as good on a couple sites. oh well! 

Current
Message 6 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@C_DUBYA wrote:

I called Opensky and they confirmed the account shows done with a 0 balance.  And IIB.  Not sure why I got statement emails or why its reporting as good on a couple sites. oh well! 

Did you ask them when they plan on getting around to refunding you your $200 deposit????

Message 7 of 10
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

I didnt even think to ask. lol. I thought with the BK7 I just lose that money.  Is that not accurate?

Current
Message 8 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@C_DUBYA wrote:

I didnt even think to ask. lol. I thought with the BK7 I just lose that money.  Is that not accurate?

If your acct was at a $0 bal prior to filing, by all means you get that back!  That was secured by you with your funds, and there was no balance at the time of closure. 

Message 9 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@C_DUBYA wrote:

If your acct was at a $0 bal prior to filing, by all means you get that back!  That was secured by you with your funds, and there was no balance at the time of closure. 

You lost the credit limit with the BK7, as pizza1 said, with a $0 balance they didn't write you deposit off on anything, you're entitled to receive the full amount refunded to you. What you might consider is calling them and asking them to use your $200 deposit to open a new secured card for you, good way to start rebuilding your credit.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.